Shooting Arizona in April/May

jeff_hallett1

We plan a first trip to Arizona in April or May of 2000. Trying to

determine whether to go the Northern Route(canyons, mountains) or do

the Southern deserts(wildlife etc). We both enjoy landscape and want

some good slot canyon stuff but would equally like to shoot desert

critters eg: birds, cactus reptiles etc. Would love to hear any great

suggestions so we can pre-plan this trip. Thanks, Jeff

I assume you mean you can either do the I40 route or the I10 route. Can you go west on one and east on the other? I live in the southern part, but if I had an either or option I'd go northern. I think you have more famous and easily accessible options. I don't know about your schedule, i.e., passing through or going to and staying for a while, but if you go north I'd try to plan an overnighter in the south. I think you could cover a good sample of what is unique down here by going to the AZ Sonora Desert Museum and Saguaro National Monument near it. Both are covered in great detail in other threads.

If you want to shoot birds, you'll want to be down in SE Arizona, i.e. the Santa Ritas, Huachucas, and Chiricahuas as well as Sonoita Creek. My first trip down there netted me 41 lifers for birding. Now I need to get down there to continue adding bird species to my photo files.

And you'd want the Lane/ABA Birder's Guide to Arizona, of course.

But ... if you really want to get bird photos on the trip, you'll have to pretty much submerse yourself into it and if this is a vacation as well as shooting trip, you may get more enjoyment out of shooting landscapes up north.

Jeff: You didn't specify how much time you have. If you have 2 weeks, why not do both? Land in Phoenix and head north(Page)for one week, return to Phoenix (do the zoo and botanical gardens) and then head to Tucson. You can probably fly home from Tucson at no penalty.

It sounds like a lot of driving, but it's do-able. I've done it, and it's a memorable shooting vacation.

good shooting

jssmith

With the time that you have, it is probable that you will decide to spend time in both northern and southern Arizona. As you go North from Tucson, or as you come South to Tucson, Choose Holbrook as your entry or exit point from US I-40. Travelin South, take Arizona 77 from Holbrook to Showlow. From Showlow you have two choices, Arizona 77/US 60 through the Salt River Canyon or US 60 to US 191 through the White Mountains to Safford.

The Salt River Canyon is an opportunity to photograph from the bottom of a canyon, rock formations and rock colors similar to those of the Grand Canyon. The White Mountains route will give you an entirely different perspective on the landscape of Arizona. Most of the land belongs to the Apache Nation and is beautiful to see and to photograph.

If while in northern Arizona, you venture as far North as Page and Lake Powell, visit the Vermillion Cliffs area. It is East of US 89 on US 89A and beyond the Navajo Bridge. There is an area of unique rocks, best described as traveling rocks, 15 to 20 miles beyond the bridge and immediately adjacent to US 89A and to the North. The best time of day for photographing them is ealry morning or late afternoon.

If you find yourself on Arizona 274 between Polacca and Keams Canyon, to your North you will see an Acoma Indian hillside pueblo. There is a turn out by the road that will allow you to stop and photograph the inhabited pueblo. The scene has little conrast and is best photographed early in the day or late in the afternoon.

To the North of US 180 between Tuba City and Kayenta is Betatakin Anasai ruins. Similar in appearance to some of the ruins in Mesa Verde National Park, Betatakin is more easily photographed and is less well-known and more as it was discovered than is Mesa Verde. (The hike back up to the canyon rim is strenuous.) Keet Seel, another even more untouched Anasai ruin, is also available at the same location but requires Navajo guides, horses and a overnight camp-out. Your reward for the extra effort and cost of Keet Seel are unique photographs. Reservations for Keet Seel are required.

North of Kayenta on US 163 is Monument Valley, director John Ford's favorite scenic background for his western motion pictures. The photographic opportunities here are extensive, the landscape is unique, and sunrises and sunsets are astounding. You can drive your own vehicle through the valley or choose a guided tour from Goulding's Lodge which is across from the entrance to Mounument Valley. Goudling's buildings and interiors have been featured in a number of Ford's productions and it is a pleasant place to overnight.

I am assuming that you are already aware of the better known National Parks and Monuments scattered throughout Arizona and Utah. While the driving distance are substantial and time consuming, no where else affords as many and as many different opportunities for the photographer as does Arizona and Utah.