Unloading film in a Holga

I have just purchased my first Holga and have loaded some Ilford 120 100iso

film.

My question is � how do I unload 120 film from the Holga.

There is evidently not a rewind knob to turn the film back on to the original

spool. Do you wind it forward on to the spool provided?

If so, I presume that you send this spool off (with film on it) for

processing � but what happens to that spool? Where do I get a new spool for

the next film I load? Do they send that spool back to me? How do I get that

spool out of the camera?

Also, do I have to unload the film in darkness?

I have never used 120 film before, so please excuse my ignorance, but I would

be very grateful for some good advice!

Robin

Don't panic!!!

this will seem so obvous when you do it, but dont woory, it seems everyone who moves to MF from 35mm has this issue.

with MF film, the spool winds itself onto the take up spool as you take pictures. Ensure that the film is fully wound on, Open the back of the camera in subdued light, there will be sticky tape on the end of the film, stick this round the film and away you go. A used MF film looks exactly like an unused film ,there will be some kind of marking saying unexposed/exposed at either end.

transfer the empty spool from the film side of the camera to the empty side and you are ready to load another film.

Good luck

Gavin

When you reach the end of the roll, continue winding for a bit to make sure that the end of the paper is wound past the window, then open the back in an area where bright light will not hit the film roll. As stated above, there will be a paper tab at the end of the roll which you can wet and stick to the backing paper. Ilford films show black paper at the end of the roll and the words "Exposed". The only thing to keep in mind is that it may be loose due to the Holga design, so be sure to load and unload in subdued light.

Both spools should just pull right out of the camera. Move your empty to the takeup side and insert the new film on the other side. You won't get the other spool back, but you won't need it either.

Let us know if you have any trouble with it.

- Randy

Also, the Holga does not always wind the film onto the take-up spool super tight, so it helps to take the film out in dim light and wrap it in foil (to keep the light out) until you develop it...or if you send it out, send it in the foil and label the film so the lab knows what it is.

Please check out this company: http://www.holgamods.com/

The owner does all the work himself, and there are many interesting Holga options there including pinhole and digital Holga adapters.

The basic Holga caqmera is made in China. Interestingly, the Chinese Holga company is very interested in Randy Smith's Holga modifications. Randy is the owner of the HolgaMod company.

The Chinese Holga company introduced many of Randy's modification into their new Holga 120N camera. They also included a film winding tightener that I suggested on Randy's "Tips" site.

I have yet to receive any payments on my idea from the Chinese Holga company, and Randy has not receive any either, but, who knows? Ha, Ha, and a big HA! (^U^)

One other thing about Holgas. The spool that comes with it seems to, well, SUCK. I read somewhere that it is slightly too large and lets light in the sides when the film has been exposed and waiting for processing. I read to throw it out and use a "real" 120 spool.

I myself did not believe this (I stil have a hard time believing it)and used the supplied spool for my first roll. Call me crazy, but there were light leaks on the edges. When I used the spool from the previous roll for my next roll (as stated above) all was well. I had plenty of light leaks elsewhere, but they were gone from the edges.

Definately visit Holgamods, great page...

http://www.holgamods.com/mods/order/tips/tips.html