Please help me to choose right gitzo

mkhan

Hi,

I am going to buy a gitzo tripod but having difficulies to choose the right one.

I am trying to provide as much information as I can,

1. I am 5'5" tall

2. I would spent approx $500 on tripod.

3. The ballhead I would use is, Arca-Swiss Monoball B1 Ballhead with Independent

Panning Lock & Flip-Lock Quick Release

4. I visited gitzo website, not sure which one is right for me, mountainer,

basalt, classic, traveller, systematic.. I am really lost !

5. My current heaviest lense is 24-70mm, I will get 70-200mm in future and

probably few more tele..not sure about their weight.

Thanks,

Mohammad

Hi Mohammad, you need to tell us some more. Will you be taking it on an airplane with you in your suitcase so small collapsed size and low weight is a need? Is carrying weight a factor--are you going to be carrying it long distances or will it be used in a studio or near your car ? Do you need it made of a rugged substance like metal so it can take a lot of abuse? Do you have special needs like macro or general purpose needs like landscapes and studio?

Given your height, I would look at the Gitzo balsat 1297 tripod. It is light in weight. Or any of the Explorer models--great for macro and general use. Or any of the Gitzo series 2 models. Only you can decide if you need one with three leg extensions (longer when collapsed) or with four legs(shorter when collapsed and easier to put into a suitcase.) Joe Smith

I was looking at the details of G2258

Nice to have 4 leg section.

Isn't carbon fiber better than aluminum. somewhere I read, carbon fiber absorb move vibration than aluminum.

I would mostly use for general purpose, will do macro in future (at least have that plan :p)

Travel would not be a lot, at most 0-3 times a year.

G2258 is weight about 4lbs and supports upto 13 lbs

I think, I would go for this G2258.. any drawback of this that I should know about?

Thanks,

Mohammad

Why Gitzo and not Bogen/Manfrotto? Just curious, I have tested both and found no

advantage to Gitzo, and yes I know there are those that swear by them. I just liked the

weight of the Bogen versus the Gitzo. When I needed a very tall tripod, I found the bogen

actually more stable for half the price.

But back to your question, get a tripod that is at least 8-12 inches taller than you are, but

which is not too heavy. In the landscape, you will find yourself on hillsides and such and

sometimes a tripod that is just right on level ground is way too short to get the camera

where you want it.

Probably carbon fiber is better at absorbing vibration, but I have never found that a

problem, in any case. Wood is also great for that. Carbon Fiber is great for weight, but

they are sometimes not as functional as the metal ones. I would test whatever out it the

store side by side. Weight is also a great stabilizer in the wind and Carbon Fiber does not

have weight.

If you like the features of the Gitzo G 2258 explorer, I would look at the G 2220. It has the same design, does the same thing, is all metal and costs a lot less and weighs only about .8 pound more. Yes, the CF does absorb vibration better, but with your planned equipment, which is pretty light, I believe that to be a non issue. I like fewer and longer legs on the three leg models because the thinest leg has a wider diameter than the fourth leg on the other model. To me that is more important than CF. Now if I were traveling by plane all the time, then I might consider a shorter four leg model. I have Bogen tripods as well as Gitzo too. Get a Gitzo and do not look back. If you want CF look at the G 2227. Joe Smith

I am a nature photographer and use the G2220. When I first got it a couple years back I was concerned about the clicking sound of the legs being locked. But it hasn't been as big an issue as I thought it might be. Even though you can't dampen the sound out completely, it is possible to quieten it a bit by holding a cloth over the clamp when you lock it.