Sunsets from Boat

brenda_carpenter2

Hi, I am wanting to take some medium format photos of sunsets at a local lake.

At sunset the wind dies down and most other boaters have left and I think I can

hold the camera steady enough at 1/64 or 1/30. I have a Rolleiflex 3.5E and a

Minolta Autocord also with a 3.5 lens. I am reluctant to take either of these

out on the boat and I wonder if 3.5 will be fast enough. I could probably pick

up a Yashica D or Yashica Mat with a 2.8 Yashinon lens on ebay for a good

price, definitely for less than a Rollieflex 2.8 would cost. Would f2.8 with a

400 ASA film be adequate to give me good exposures at 1/30? I will appreciate

any advice you can give me.

Take the camera out on the boat. Do you normally capsize or fall in ? Unless it's a canoe I

don't see why you are worried... Just be careful and use the strap and don't let anyone push

you in. Use a fast film and you should be fine. Use a cable release or self timer.

USE IT.

R

I think you will be fine for what you have in mind.

In a pinch you can always shoot your 400 speed and push process a stop if need be but I don't think you will need to push process. I wouldn't buy a new (different) camera just for this shoot, what you have should be adequate.

Good light and great pics,

Rick

If you are interested mostly in sky/sun, there's plenty light during sunset. The ground goes dark fast, but the sky remains bright (however the light intensity changes real fast so watch your meter carefully). <br /><br />

I believe <a href = "http://www.photo.net/photo/2143306">this shot</a> was taken at f/2.8;1/30 and the sun was down for quite a while already.

I have no idea whether 1/30 will be achievable because sunsets start out bright and end up dark. The thing I'd question though is whether you#ll get a sharp image at 1/30 anyway, since you have to take into account not only the ability to handhold successfully but also inevitably some movement from the boat itself. I wouldn't like to bank on that combination at 1/30 myself. Also if you're taking wide open you might have a depth of field issue, depending on your composition.