LCDs and CRTs - curent best value?

My monitor (Viewsonic GT775) is starting to show its age. There's an

area that looks slightly yellower than the rest of the screen and it

appears to have some fine vertical structure (like a high ISO digital

image!). Degaussing doesn't help, so I think it may be on it's way

out.

I'm totally out of the loop when it comes to monitors these days.

Just browsing through a few websites it looks like you can get a

decent 17" CRT for $100-150, but you probably have to spend $300+ to

get a decent LCD. I'm not looking for absolute top of the line stuff,

just something good enough for general work and photo editing. I

don't need perfect color matching. Since it's just going to sit on my

desk, size and weight aren't an issue so it really doesn't matter if

it's a CRT or LCD.

So would I be right in thinking that a CRT is going to give me the

best bang for the buck and for $100 - $150 I should be able to find

something reasonable? Any recommendations? Ideally it would be

something available from the usual chain stores (BestBuy, Circuit

City etc.), since the shipping on a 30lb monitor isn't cheap, and if

it has a problem I'd rather be able to drive it back to the store

where I bought it than have to ship it!

I purchased a 19-inch UltraSharp LCD as a second monitor to a 21 inch Sony Trinitron. The Ultrasharp looked so good, that when the 20 inch US went on sale, I picked one up to replace the sony. I calibrated both with my Monaco Optix XR.

The Ultrasharps aren't perfect, but they are pretty damn good for the price. I picked up the 19 inch for $300, and the 20 inch for $350, both with free shipping. The 21 inch widescreen is currently on sale for about $450.

Get into the habbit of checking dealmac.com or dealtime.com daily. I think these LCDs represent some of the best value available today.

Of course i use mine for heavy-duty photo editing and production work, both connected to my PowerMac.

All the Best.

I always felt the ideal solution was always a dual head graphics card with one lcd and one crt, preferrably a trinitron tube in the latter with an apretutre grill. But if you're just looking for one, the crt will certainly give you the most bang for the buck. Lcds still blow highlights and block up shadows, though they've gotten a lot better than they were. They certainly render color better than crts, more vivid. Best bang for the buck, go with proven manufactuers and models like the Samsung SyncMaster or even the Viewsonic ypu're looking to replace. The SyncMaster may be strictly lcd now but the crts were always a good buy. If you're looking for a hassle free solution then definitely check with your Better Business Bureau because service with national chains like BestBuy and Circuit City can vary widely with location. You may be better going with a locally owned appliance store. I know I am.

Bob,

There is no more 17" CRT in the market as good as your Viewsonic GT775 when it was new. I know Sony stopped making 21" and smaller monitors 2 years ago. I ain't sure if Sony still making any Trinitron. Browse around Sony/NEC/Mitsubishu sites, they don't even mention about Trinitron/Diamondtron monitor at all. All the current CRTs in production are not high quality products. You probably have to go for LCDs. If you are like me, still love Trinitrons over LCD, you can browse around eBay for some good used aperture grill (Trinitron/Diamondtron) monitors. If you live in the Silicon Valley, check out the www.craigslist.org to have used monitor from local sellers.

CRTs are VERY cheap right now but, they are heavier so, if you plan on shopping on the NET you'll pay <i>high shipping</i> charges (plus hte hassle and exp. if you have to return it). Clearly, for CRTs, your local stores will be your best bet.

<p>

However, do check out the LCDs. Those can be had online for very low prices (maybe even at your local stores) and shipping is not high since they are light.

<p>

However you decide to shop, by mail or local, here's some specs to look for in LCDs:

<p>

ideally, you'd want a response time of around 12ms or less. The shorter the better. A .26 pitch and contrast of around 600:1 with the usual 1280x1024 rez.

<p>

<i>Before</i> buying, have a look<a href=http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1358111&Sku=F33-1900> here</a> to get an idea of prices, models, etc...

Bob,

One thing to look for if you do get a cheaper CRT monitor - make sure you can manually set the RGB levels. (Assuming you'll want to calibrate your monitor). I had a Viewsonic and couldn't calibrate it because the green gun levels couldn't be adjusted. I bought a Sony CRT (can't remember the model), but returned it because horizontal lines were really distorted (and couldn't be corrected with the monitor adjustments). I returned the Sony and ended up with a KDS monitor (from Office Depot or Office Max). For the price I paid (less than $200), I've been really happy with the KDS monitor .

Bob - look at www.monitoroutlet.com.

They have a lot of 17-inch monitors listed in the $150-$225 range. You can get either an NEC or Viewsonic 19-inch montor for about $265. Shipping on most items is free.

I've purchased from them and they're very good. The LaCie Electron Blue is probably the best graphics/photo CRT bang at about $375.

For pure photo editing, it's of my opinion that flat screen CRT's are still better than any alternative out there. I rue the day when I have to give up my 19" Viewsonic PF790. While LCD is more vivid, it's not going to be as accurate and depending on your viewing angle, lighting changes. I'm sure technology is improving, but I don't want to give up accuracy for lightness or whatever is "chic" these days.

yea a 19" flat screen crt will be at the upper range of what you want to spend and will give the best value for your money.

I have a 19" NEC FE 992 which is 219 presently. It is a Great monitor and has lots of hardware options.

Monitor 19": Envision EFT920 should run 145.

I prefer to buy a good-used Trinitron/Diamondtron monitor at rock bottom price. Use it 2-3 years and throw it away with $10 deposal fee. By then, LCD will be cheaper and better, color accuracy maybe as good as today's Trinitron/Diamondtron. I've seen couple of good used (some still under warranty) Trinitrons in www.craigslist.org, and I can pick it up locally.

I just can't do 19". Not enough desk space, it has to be 17". I could probably get away with a 19" LCD, but I don't need it and they're too expensive anyway.

A number of people mention used monitors. Isn't that asking for trouble? These things do have a limited lifespan. I have seen a few "refurbs", but I wonder if they have new CRTs in them. I guess if they are returns they probably do, but if they are warranty reapair items, maybe just the electronics are refurbished.

Anyone know about the lifetime of LCD monitors? Longer or shorter than that of CRTs? I've had this Viewsonic for maybe 5 years now (could be 6). I think it was maybe $700 back then. Stuff sure has gotten cheaper fast!

LCD lasts around half of a CRT monitor, on the average.

Is buying a used CRT monitor like asking for trouble? Depends on your luck. 3 years ago, more than likely that you are asking for trouble. Today, as so many people go for LCDs to save deskspace, it may not be asking for trouble as long as deskspace is not an issue for you.

Stuffs get cheap very fast? Sure. Lots of girls stared at me when I was a teen and in 20's. Now, I am so cheap that I hardly find girls take a look at me.

I'm looking at a mid high-end Eizo LCD. I can't think of going back to a CRT unless I wan't to gouge my eyes out after working on the display for 8 hours.

You get what you pay for. If you want cheap but good, get a CRT. If you want expensive but easy on your eyes, get an EXPENSIVE LCD. Anything less, is fooling yourself into believing that the display is is giving you an accurate rendition.

I've been through CRT's, and didn't by an LCD until I found the Eizo.

If you took a positive attitude toward extending dynamic range you might be selected to receive a free test monitor. "The two displays we developed have dynamic ranges well beyond 50,000:1, and a maximum intensity of 2700 cd/m2 and 8500 cd/m2, respectively. This compares to a dynamic range of about 300:1, and a maximum intensity of about 300 cd/m2 for a typical desktop display."

<a href="http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~heidrich/Projects/HDRDisplay">High Dynamic Range Display Systems</a>

Good discussion. I have been interested in maybe changing to a large LCD to replace my Sony 19" trinitron, but have yet too see one that is better. I view 1024X986 at 85HZ the screen is steady crisp and when adjusted correctly the Printed images are as the screen displayed.

I may just hold onto this unit for a while.

Glad I found this post....

I just lost my Viewsonic P790. The screen was expanding and going pink as it warmed up.

I'm currently trying a LaCie EBIV 22 CRT. I've tried the refurb route since they are local. The price is good, and I figured by the time it goes, flat panel technology will be far ahead of where it is now. I haven't been happy so far though...

I've got my second one after returning the first. On both I get some horizontal ghosting, and blurring that I can't get rid of with the screen controls. Vertical photoshop guides would blur over a white background and text is not crisp for any application.

I'd consider buying new, but now I'm gunshy. Can anyone make me feel better about how a new LaCie performs before I consider plunking down the extra money? I presume it's not the 22" vs. the 19"

One more thing, Why is it so difficult to find shops where you can test drive the monitor? It seems that this is THE critical interface, and one is almost forced to buy blind.

19" CRTs are the sweet spot where price is concerned. I would suggest looking at them again. In recent years they have gotten smaller and getting out a tape measure might benefit you. Albeit, a 19" CRT may still be too deep. But the extra minutes to measure may pay off (in screen real estate). <p>

Consider:<p>

Some 19" display dimensions <br>

---------------------------<br>

17.6" x 17.5" x 18.2"<br>

17.6" x 17.9" x 18.5"<br>

18.1" x 18.8" x 18.6"<br>

17.5" x 18.0" x 16.4"<br>

17.6" x 17.8" x 18.7"<p>

Your 17" display dimensions<br>

16.4" x 16.1" x 17.5"<p>

Some 17" display dimensions<br>

16.1" x 15.8" x 16.5"<br>

15.7" x 15.8" x 16.7"<br>

16.1" x 15.8" x 16.5"<br>

16.0" x 16.4" x 17.1"<br>

15.7" x 15.6" x 16.5"<br>

15.6" x 15.1" x 16.5"<br>

15.9" x 16.0" x 16.6"<br>

16.1" x 15.8" x 16.5"<p>

In the end, it becomes a matter of only a couple of inches (linear dimensions), and those couple inches add up to a lot of relief for the eyes (or more pixels, your choice :o).<p>

They may still be too big, but make sure.<p>

some thoughts,<p>

Sean