M7 vs RZ67

richard_silfverberg

After having read some about the RZ67 II camera I thought I'd drop a

question for you experts out there. Is it possible (possible is here

defined as 'I don't have to think twice about it) to bring the RZ67

out with you as you would an M7 - i.e. onto the streets, in the car,

backpack, etc or is it just to heavy and/or bulky?

I am drawn to the RZ67's close up ability, a lens in 2.8(?), headshot

ability, great optics, etc. But when it comes down it that would just

be an amazing bonus. I still want to use the MF for about 80%

streetshots and using a tripod 10-20% of the time.

Can the RZ67 do that?

Regards,

Richard

If you're 6 feet, five inches tall, weigh 250 pounds, and have been a body builder all your life, you should enjoy hand-held street shooting with the RZ. I'm only six-two, strong enough to do farm work regularly, and sold my RB in part because I found it a pain to use for even the formal shots at weddings.

Given that you want to use the camera for handheld street shooting 80% of the time, I think you would be much happier with the Mamiya 7 (if the percentages had been reversed, I'd have suggested the RZ). In addition the weight savings while carrying the camera around, the lack of mirror slap should allow you to shoot handheld at slower shutter speeds.

Richard, I faced the same decision as you a couple of years ago. I hired an RZ, loved it & couldn't face giving up the rotating back, film size, close focussing etc. so I accepted the high weight.

<p>

It is possible to carry it around, and if you travel mainly by car it could work out OK. Even with just the one standard lens, it's an awesome system (which I've actually taken <a href="http://abooth.com/tanzania/LionTree.html">on safari</a>). It's interesting to use on the streets, since I've found people react when you put a camera to your eye, but tend to ignore one which you view at waist level.

<p>

At the end of the day you do risk turning the camera into your enemy though. You wouldn't take it with you 'just in case' - it's too heavy (and the glass gets heavy very quicky as you add extra lenses). I bought a Fuji GW670III which I prefer to carry. I can put this in a small bag and forget about it, and one standard lens isn't too much of a limitation. Of the two it sounds like the M7 would be more suited to your needs, but you would need to accept its limitations. Perhaps the Pentax 67 would offer you a better set of compromises (and there are plenty of previous MFD threads discussing handholding this).

The RZ 67 2 is certainly not the camera for discreet shots and stolen moments on the street. It is certainly not a camera you can whip out of the bag and shoot away readily with respect to the M7 2. Okay, you may get admiring looks and questions as the RZ is a real he-man camera but for your kind of street photography it is not the best tool for the job. Besides the optics are one-of-kind for 67 format and relatively cheap especially if you know someone who can mail you the camera and lenses from Asia. I think that you should consider the M7 seriously. Users on the M7 forum at mamiya.com make paeans to the M7.

Cheers...Rene

P.S. Rent both for a day and it'll be clear.

As an RZ user, I can tell you that you will (unless you're a big strong bodybuilder type ;-)) tire out real easy if you intend to bring it out into the street for on-the-move type photography. You'd be better off with an M7, for the purpose that you have described.

At the end of the day, it's more than weight too. It's far easier to shoot at eye level with an RZ and a prism finder, than an M7 with an easy winding action.

Go with the M7

Richard, You say you want to use the camera for about 80% street shots. Have you considered a good used Rolleiflex TLR? I have and use both a Mamiya 7 and a Mamiya RZ67, but for street photography in MF I'd choose the Rollei TLR any day. The post above about people being much more relaxed around a camera that isn't being used at eye level is quite true, and the Rollei is reasonably light and compact, and optically superb. Have you tried one?

I forgot to add that one of its virtues for street photography is that the Rollei TLR is very quiet (so is the Mamiya 7). The Rollei TLR's modest size, quietness, and waist-level operation make it an inconspicuous camera for street photography. In my opinion both the Mamiya RZ67 and the Pentax 67 are too big and clunky and heavy for street photography, and neither is quiet (the Pentax 67, in fact, is quite noisy; although it's a great camera in some applications, I'd say it had all the disadvantages for street photography: usually used at eye level, big and heavy and clunky, and noisy).

• 3 years later...

There are several postings in response to this question, but I don't see any that really provide Richard with the answers he sought. I own both the RZ and M7II. I would not, for a moment, think of using the RZ hand-held. It may indeed be possible, but it makes little sense to try. The RZ is big, bulky and not particularly well balanced. Its a wonderful camera on a tripod.

The M7, on the other hand, is made for hand-held use. No gigantic mirror to cause camera vibration at slow speeds, smaller lenses with no need to provide illumination for an SLR viewfinder, light and small body with perfect balance. I can't think of a better camera for hand-held photography.

Philip Tilton