popular 2.8 lens. I would eventually like to get a zoom as this is a

range I am missing. I do mostly landscapes and nature with film

cameras and mostly do not need the speed or weight of the current

f2.8 lens. I do not need a fast focus lens although if I had one I

would likely buy a fast focus film camera such as the F100 for my

kid?s track and field events. As good a lens and as popular as this

lens is, I would prefer a smaller and lighter f4. In fact, if I had

the luxury of starting over, I would start go with Canon just to get

ther excellent 70-200 f4 lens. Hopefully Nikon is listening?

I'll echo the feeling. Canon's 70-200/4L is (from first-hand experience) an outstanding lens, definitely one of the sharpest zooms in that range at any price, and far far above just about any consumer telephoto zoom. That lens was a major factor that made me sell my Nikon equipment to buy Canon gear.

Nikon did have an AF-S version of their 80-200mm. It was discontinued and replaced with

the AF-S 70-200mm with IS, and now only the regular AF-D 80-200mm remains. If you look

around used, you might find the 80-200 in AF-S.

The Nikon 70-200 lens is the replacement. It is AF-S and it has VR (vibration reduction) and a constant f2.8 aperture. There are two older 70-210 lenses that you can buy used. One is a constant f4 and the other is f4 to f5.6 I believe.

Given the smaller digital sensor, instead of a 70 or 80-200, something like a 50-135 might make more sense. Incidentally, there will soon be a 55-200mm AF-S zoom; it is a cheaper and slower f5.6 at 200mm. Moreover, there are various 70-300mm/f5.6 zooms already. It is already a crowded zoom range.

I recommend you consider buyuing the Nikon 70-210 AF f4.0-5.6D lens. It is a push pull zoom, takes 62mm filters and produces excellent images. It does not have a tripod collar. I own it precisely for the needs Kerry has. You can pick one up used in the D version or the non D version. Price range is about $120--170. Joe Smith

I will be the first to buy it. The Canon 70-200mm F4 is the biggest advantage that Canon has on Nikon. When someone consult with me about which system should he/she buy. The first reason to buy a Canon is this marvelous lens followed by the Canon 17-40 F4. Those 2 high quality lenses in the midrange price are hard to beat.

OTOH, a friend of mine is about to decide to go with Nikon for its 18-70 kit lens and D70 1K combo. While Canon sells a crappy kit lens(I had one - so I can tell it is crappy) with its tiny camera.

Asaf.

I almost moved to Canon precisely because of the poor choice in Nikon telphoto zooms. I bought into the Nikon digital system and keep waiting for a lense worth buying that is lighter than my 80-200. I would love to have an AF-S 70-300, or a 70-200 f4. The old Nikon 70-210 lenses are good, but not AF-S and the push pull zoom does a great job at sucking dust into digital bodies.

My dream lense at the moment, would be an AF-S VR f2.8 50-135 (or maybe even 40-135). Please don't make it DX only and keep to 77mm filters. I don't really care about the price providing it is optically stunning!

I wouldn't want a lens slower than f/2.8 (I have one, it is the 300/4). It just wouldn't be applicable to the kind of photography I do. Or at least I would need the f/2.8 anyway. To me, the fast aperture is of primary importance, and VR secondary. A 200/4 is hardly a hot thing, how do you shoot people indoors with it (in natural light, of course)?

Typical f/4 zooms have to be stopped down to get good performance and that just won't do IMHO. If you

Contrary to the notion that one need to stop down to get good images are the 75-150mm f/3.5 E-Series zoom, the 50-135mm f/3.5 zoom, etc that Nikon was able to make and deliver. In the case of the 75-150mm zoom, it was an inexpensive lens. It is possible that they can do it.

Would they?

The need to stop down is primarily in the 200 mm end; the 80-200 and 70-200 f/2.8 types are very good wide open in the short end. The 75-150/3.5 and 50-135/3.5 avoid this problem to some extent by not going that high, and at least my 75-150 was pretty poor (not sharp) at 150 mm, while it was a fine lens at the short and middle part of its range. I am not sure they could just redo a 50-135/3.5 AF-S with a similar optical design that they had in the original; was the lens IF? But anyway it could be made and it would be fairly compact.

`

However, in reality Nikon has fixed itself to the idea that consumers want maximally lightweight variable aperture lenses, and so there is no f/3.5 or f/4 lens. It's about internal politics I think. Some executive thinks that people want larger numbers in zoom range, not smaller.

Ilkka: photodo's tests [insert here standard disclaimer about photodo only measuring single-sample MTF curves] interestingly found the 70-200/4L at 200mm to be sharper wide open than either the 70-200/2.8L stopped down to f/4. At 70mm they're equally sharp at f/4. At 135mm however the f/2.8 lens pulls ahead. At all focal lengths the f/2.8L shows some big improvement between f/2.8 and f/4.

That matches my experience: my 70-200/4L wide open is equally very sharp at all focal lengths. Your sample may be different.

Ok, it maybe true that the EF 70-200/4 is really sharp wide open but Nikon has never made an equivalent lens in this respect. There was a 70-210/4 AF on which reports vary widely (from a poor to excellent lens) depending on who you ask. It didn't seem to sell well and so we now have two 2.8 versions and several f/4-5.6 models (70-300, 70-300 ED, 80-400 VR ED).

I am glad to hear that people are happy with their 50-135 and 75-150 lenses (I sold my E series lens because it was very sloppy and zoomed by itself); these lenses would be a good starting point for Nikon to do a compact high quality telephoto zoom primarily for DSLR users. I remember from his books that John Shaw used the 50-135 a lot at one time, so I'm sure it was very nice. I could never find a really clean copy of either lens so I gravitated towards primes and the f/2.8 zooms.

I think Nikon will release up to 9 lenses during the next months.

I guess there will be VR micros and cheap VR Zoom, like a VR 100-300 4.5/5.6

I hope we'll also see something like a 70-210 f4.