Best Quick Release System for 8X10?

cody_thomas

Hi All,

I am curious as to any recommendations regarding the best Quick Release System for use with an 8X10

camera. I use a Gitzo 1505 Tripod and currently have the Gitzo 3-way pan 1572 head (not low-profile). I

am currently awaiting the delivery of the Ebony SV810E camera.

So, my question is in two parts. First, should I continue to use my 1572 head with built in small quick

release or should I upgrade to the 1570 low-profile head. The 1570 has more surface area to support the

camera and my 1572�s quick release plate is only about 2�X2� which would not support the camera back

when unfolded. Would it be best to just buy a new long-plate for my 1572 head or should I purchase the

1570 with a larger quick release system?

Secondly, if I buy the 1570 low-profile (which makes sense as it supports more weight and has a larger

surface area in contact with the camera) what quick release system can I purchase that is large enough to

take advantage of the 1570�s surface area?

Thank you,

Cody Thomas

I'm doubtful of the usefulness of a quick release system for larger formats. They don't save that much time and most are too small. I think the way to go is to get a tripod head with a large surface area, like the Gitzo 1570M (unfortunately discontinued), tilt the head as if you were pointing the camera downward, bring the camera (folded if a field camera) to the head, and turn the screw into the camera. Then bring the head to the usual orientation and unfold the camera, etc. With the head pointed downwards, you get a better view of the screw and screw hole and can fairly quickly attach the camera.

If you want to continue using a quick release, I'd get a system that can use a longer plate. The Arca-style quick release system is flexible because it can take plates of any length. But the clamps available, AFAIK, only go to a few inches in length, so if you buy an adapter to a tripod head there is the issue of how firmly the adapter attaches to the head. I guess you could tighten the tripod head screw with a screw driver or pliers to be sure that the adapter wouldn't slip.

I use a Gitzo QR for M/F and a light 4x5.(Horseman) For 5x7 and 8x10 I use a Ries tripod and head. I would never trust something as heavy or expensive as a 8x10 Ebony to a QR. Yeah, I know all about the high end brand QR's out there. My Dorff's get nothing smaller than a 3/8 screw on a solid platform.

You know that some times when you least expect it a quick release, does.

I don't know anything about your tripod head but you might check Kirk Enterprises web site. They make at least one 4" x 4" quick release plate that I used and it provided a very nice solid platform I thought. However, it wasn't for a Gitzo head and I don't know if they make one for a Gitzo head. I've never had a quick release system release a camera unexpectedly. The best system for doing that has been my own hands.

For 8x10, If you can do w/o a QR, then the Gitzo 1570M head (not discontinued as far as I can see, from the Gtizo website and from seeing it for sale at several stores) is good. Your Ebony 8x10 will have two or more holes in the bottom where the two screws of the Gitzo head can fit into, although just one may be enough for most purposes. It weighs only 3lbs.

If you want a Q/R, then I'd recommend getting an Arca B1G head or B2 head, and using a Wimberley P-50 plate (which is over 6" long and has two to three fixing screws). It will hold your 8x10 very securely. Note that the Wimberley plate has safety stop screws and both ends of the plate so that even if your arca clamp loosens a bit, it won't fall out of the clamp.

A second choice would be a Bogen 3039 or 3057 head with the 4"x4" camera plate, but that outfit is heavier and not as secure as the above.

I don't know of a good head for 8x10 where an arca style QR clamp (as sold by REally Right Stuff, Kirk, and maybe others) can be attached easily and securely, but others might.

I settled on the 1570M head as lightest and very sturdy for 8x10, with 3 independent axis settings (ball heads and 8x10 didn't work for me. The B2 3-way head is very expensive and somewhat heavier)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

It is nice to know your tripod and head. But there are 8x10 and then there is 8x10

cameras. A Linhof Master GTL 8x10 is well over 20 pounds without a lens. A Wista 810 is

a fraction of that.

In the case of the Linhof. the bottom of the telescoping rail has a dovetail that fits directly

into a Linhof leveling head with quick release. That head accepts a slide-in Linhof plate

that would let you mount any other camera.

Now, how much does your camera and lens weigh? Then you can figure out which quick

release works best. There are several that can hold and function with an 8x10 camera.

There are even more that can't work safely with that large a camera.