Bike Rally - My Yashica was a hit!

johnw436

I had the greatest time today.

We had a motorcycle rally in town today and it just so happened that I had my

little Yahica Mat EM with me. I just got the camera and was out to put my

first few rolls through it. The bike rally was an unexpected bonus. What

better opportunity to put my little camera through its paces?

What I did not expect was the attention that I GOT. As you would imagine there

was no shortage of DSLRs of every ilk at each and every turn. Everywhere I

looked was someone toting a big-money rig... and there was me with my little

TLR.

People really made a big deal over my camera. I had to chuckle because every

one of them assumed it was a tremendously expensive piece of pro gear and made

comments as such. My favorite comment came from a woman who called out to me

as I was walking by. Her question was, "WHO are you with?" I was confused by

the question. "You MUST be with somebody- which paper are you with? You've

got to be with SOMEBODY to have a camera like that." LOL.

It's funny that I got so much attention from the bikers, too. I really don't

know anything about motorcycles at all beyond watching American Chopper on TV,

but bikers by nature have a real appreciation for quality gear, especially when

they recognize it as vintage. The fact that I was carrying around a '66 model

lent a huge "cool factor" to it. I have never had such an easy time developing

a rapport with people and getting to photograph them. They all thought it was

really cool to get their picture taken by me and my vintage camera. It meant

more to them. I believe portraits are about the person in the photo and a

connection with that person makes the difference. In this case the connection

was simple: A mutual appreciation of vintage gear and an enjoyment of doing

things a little differently than everyone else.

I had the same experiences. It seems like though most people don't know what a TLR is, they immediately like the design of the camera and the vintage look. Often when I'm out and about I hear passers-by whisper to their friends "...Rolleiflex" (even if it's not), "...I always wanted one of those...", "...now that's a cool camera...", etc.

Most people assume that even the cheapest '50s TLR with a triplet is a professional tool and will step aside to let the "working photographer" go closer to the photo-op. And if you add any cheap flash gun (Agfatronic 302 in my case), no-one will question your undertaking. So in my experience a TLR is NOT that well suited for unobtrusive street photography as you soon become the center of attention yourself.

I think, if you have a "vintage" camera on the street, the people always look.

I was walking around town with my little son (10 months) in his buggy and having the old hassy hanging on my shoulder, it didn�t take 5 minutes that someone talked to me: "ohh, I had the same 20 yrs ago, etc."

When someone is passing by with a Leica M, a TLR or any other not digital monster with thousand knobs and beeps, it catches also my attention, whether he takes pictures or not.

Richard

You should see the looks I got with my Diana! I felt really uncomfortable and silly and muffled it away, but the blue top is a giveaway. Next time I will hang my digital P&S around my neck to show I'm no retarded (or am I?). My Rolleiflex gets attention from a mile away but I don't know what people think about wielding that camera. Anyway, YOU keep up the good work John, I'm of little use...

I'm really happy that you guys got a kick out of my story.

Yes, it has the Yashinon 3.5 taking lens and a 3.2 viewing lens. The camera looks fantastic- like somebody bought it and kept it in a dresser drawer for 40 years. In fact, in came to me in the original box with the manual!

Funny that you mentioned Rollie. I heard those whispers at least twenty times while walking around. I got a real kick out of that. I paid less for my little Yashica than most people's point and shoots.

I was wondering... does anyone else feel odd putting color film in their TLR? I know that sounds silly. I ran 5 rolls of 320TXP through it then decided to shoot some 400UC. Seemed a shame to let the gorgeous paint jobs on those bikes go unnoticed. Yet, somehow it just felt wrong to have color film loaded. Felt sacriligious in some ways.

I will definitely post some photos when I get them developed. Up until now I've never been much of a random people-shooter but this camera really made it easy by breaking the ice for me. My stuff will be utterly pedestrian compared to many of you, but for my first foray into random stranger photography I really had a blast.

I've had very similar experiences. Funny that lots of others have as well. I once

photographed a a Rememberance Day parade and ceremony with a Mamiya C330s and

180mm lens. People tended to get out of my way so "the pro" could get the photos he

needed. Then there are the other people who don't know what you're holding and have no

second thoughts about walking or standing in front of you.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, those old cameras really attract attention.

Yesterday I was sitting in the park, enjoying one of last sunny days of short Lithuanian summer and also looking for a pray (to shoot with my old Rolleiflex 3.5F). When I found the face I liked and started thinking "what do I do know - do I approach and ask for permission or just shoot unnoticed...". Then he noticed my camera, hesitated a bit, then approached and asked if I could take a picture of him with this camera...