Olympus 8080 Freeze up

I just got my first digital camera, chock full of buttons, dials,

wheels and screens. ;-) Anyway after a few hours of playing with it -

it locked up...no buttons worked.(even the power button) I had to

finally remove the battery from the live camera to reset it. Since

then it has happened almost half a dozen times in the last few weeks.

Has anyone seen this phenomenon ? Is there cure or is it necessary to

send it for warranty repair.(return to store)

I acquired mine in Jan 2005 (1st digital camera) & apart from the flash mode which sometimes "locked in a flash-off mode" (ie. cannot switch from flash-off to flash-on mode).

I still can't figure it out & to overcome it, I reset the camera to the standard factory setting & start all over with my preferences again such as RAW, +/- Saturation, - flash compensation, hi shooting mode etc. A nuisance but it works.

Anyone else having this type of problem ?

Rana, yours definiteley requires the use of the Warranty.

I used to own a C8080. There is a firmware update that is supposed to address some kind of lock up - no telling if this is the same problem, but do update your firmware. The other thing that happens with this cam is the battery door sometimes goes ajar. Check it is firmly closed with the catch in place. Sometimes it's not even visible that the compartment door is slightly not seated right, but the cam will still stop working.

The C8080 takes great pics. For whatever reason, Olympus put an absolute winner lens on that machine, far above the crappy prime lens they ship with the E300/EVolt kit DSLR. If you can work through the annoying autofocus challenges, you are going to get some beautiful and colourful pics from the C8080 - don't give up on it!

Haven't used the 8080 but have been working with kit lens for the E-300 and don't have a clue as to why it is 'crappy'. The 8080, like my 5060, doubtless has great optics, but my comparative experinces suggests that the Evolt lens is just fine, and that is confirmed in many reviews. The issue isn't optics, but what you, as a photographer, want and need to accomplish.

I use the 14-45 on an E300, so I'm well acquainted with it. First, the 14-45 kit lens is dead slow. A focal range of 3.5-5.6 is sluggish for an all-purpose lens like this. Depth of field is a challenge to restrain, even at maximum zoom with those values. Second, the vignetting with this lens zoomed wide really makes nonsense of the "four thirds" format - what good is four-thirds if you have to crop to 3:2 so that dark corners beyond correction are dropped? Oly has provided a software patch for this in a firmware update for the camera's processing logic, but that's not much use to those who prefer to process their own RAW files, which with this and most other digicams is mandatory if you want to preserve any range of tone in anything other than a flat shot. Finally, compared to the C8080, I'm finding this lens provides captures that are less saturated and less sharp. I'm assuming the Kodak sensors in the E300 and C8080 are very close in quality, if not the same item. I do love the E300 and I continue to invest in it - I'm just annoyed that it was only available in a kit with this lens (at least where I am from). To turn to the better (and weather sealed) Zuiko Digital 14-54mm costs more than a couple of hundred dollars. This is my only real disappointment with this budget DSLR. Otherwise, I think it's a fantastic machine, and it's a pleasure to shoot with. I have purchased a Sigma 55-200 and have found it to produce very good results... there's a "budget" lens that's worth the money...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...