I have an upcoming wedding that has me a bit challenged. The wedding party

will have 22-24 people in it. The bride has two maids of honor and the groom

has two best men. I have spent quite a bit of time planning the photography

for a group that large. As the wedding approaches I find myself second-

guessing the particular photographs that I had in mind for the bride and her

maids of honor and the groom and his best men. My question is, "has anyone

out there done a wedding where there were multiple best men and maids of honor

(this is my first) and if so, would you be willing to share your thoughts and

perspectives on key photographs to have with multiple honor positions?

I would also love to see some photos of any wedding party groups that large.

I have also arranged with the reception venue for power support as I am

bringing my monolights. Any opinion or thoughts on how to light a group this

large is welcome.

Specifics that might help: the wedding starts at 4 p.m. and the reception is

scheduled to last to midnight. The wedding will take place in Atlanta,

Georgia, and most of the evening will be outdoors. And before anyone says it

yes I know it's like 100ᄚ at night in Atlanta this time of year. I have

already explained to the bride that 24 people standing outside in summertime

in full length dresses and tuxedos is going to make for slightly "squishy"

picture. :-)

Do a search using the keywords "large wedding party" or "big wedding party" or similar, and you'll find some previous threads. This is one recent one.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00HFkS

When you photograph the formal shot of the wedding party, put the guys in the back and girls up front, with 5 sets on each side of the couple. Kids up front. Then the group is as compact as you can get.

Similarly, when that compact, lighting is the same as for "regular" groups. If you have off camera lights, you can still use the key/fill method--just get the key light far back enough to provide good coverage side to side, and not too far off axis to prevent shadows on the back row. I personally don't use modifiers but rely on dragging the shutter to help with non-harsh lighting, so flash power isn't an issue.

As for the two best men/maids, photograph as usual but be sensitive to giving one precedence over the other, such as who stands next to the bride or groom or couple or which way the bride or groom is turned, unless there is a natural order, such as one being older, or something, but even then, you should strive to make things "equal".

Phillip,

<BR><BR>

Just treat it as a 3rd person on each side. Bride in the middle, maids on each side, same with groom is one thought. There's nothing really unusual about it, you just have to make room for 1 extra person.

<BR><BR>

As for large groups, if you have the space on the altar area, with steps, layer the group. Or even outside. This isn't as large a group, but the steps help.

<BR><BR>

haha, squishy pics.. you should take one group and then 'melt' them in a graphics program. That sounds like a fun pic.<div>00HZJ4-31624184.jpg.7936ab61511e668f4a17183cb7838aec.jpg</div>

I would be real apprehensive to use mono's at a wedding, but that's just me. I would use an on camera flash, and a 2nd flash held above the lens above 5 feet. This is flat light, but it gets the job done without shadow worries. Try to have the people blot their sweat, and use face powder to reduce flash "sweat shine".

I'm not sure what the size of the bridal party matters? Unless you are very new at this? If so the "people wrangling" can be imtimidating at first. Just think symmetry and balance, when you do any sized groups.