Leica Slide Show Experiences/Tips

I take photos so I can view them on slide.

Although I have given a lot of thought to my camera (M7) and lens (75 Summicron)

and shooting style (portraiture, street and landscape), to my film choice

(Velvia 100 & Kodak 100GX) I have simply used the screen and projector I

inherited (Braun Photo Technik Novamat M350 Monitor Projector (85mm) and a

180x180 reflecta screen.)

I would be grateful if someone could advise me on how to get the most of

'viewing' end of the slide photographic process. What set up you recommend in

terms of projector (Leica I presume), projector lens (Leica?), screen, slide

storage. Do you have any tips of how to lay out the slide room for maximum effect?

As I enjoy slide so much I would be grateful for any advice on how to get the

most pleasure from my growing slide collection. Thanks.

Slide shows have virtually disappeared in the wonderful world of digital photography, being commercially replaced with expensive and unsharp Powerpoint projections -- a great loss IMO.

<p>It doesn't matter much which projector you use, as long as the lens is of highest quality. Schneider is probably even better than Leica in this instance, but they're both great. I personally prefer the Kodak Carosel type trays. The best possible projector (IMO) is the German Kodak industrial projectors, with a built-in extra projection bulb. They are expensive, but worth it. (Kodak has discontinued making projecors.)

<p>The best screen to use is a MATT finish. Screens with glass beads are brighter, but not nearly as sharp.

<p>My living room is about 30' long, and is set up with a pull-down screen at one end, and a pair of Leica projectors perminently set up above the mantle on the other. When a box of Kodachrome comes back, I check them with a stack-loader before editing and sorting them into trays, which is also how they are stored (expensive and excessive space requirement, but handy).

<p>Good luck -- there's nothing like projected slides!

It's been years since I last had a regular set-up for slide presentations. I had a pull-down screen mounted on one wall. At the opposite end of the room I had the projector mounted on a stand that was high enough so that it was the height of the center of the screen so there was no "keystoning" of the image. I always used a Kodak Carousel projector because the trays were the industry standard. I have both 4 and 5 inch lenses for it. The zoom wasn't as sharp and sometimes if I took the projector elsewhere it was handy to have the lens choice.. I suppose were I to start using it again I'd get look into getting one of the Schneider lenses.

I always figured that the average non photographer wouldn't really notice the difference between a Kodak lens and a Leitz. Art directors and editors were used to seeing slides projected with Kodak lenses anyway.

I'm using slide film most of the time. A few years ago, I got a Pradovit P 150 with the Colorplan-P2 lens; this was already a huge improvement compared to the projectors I used before. Now, a few weeks ago, I upgraded to a Pradovit IR and the Super Colorplan, and again I like it even better.

The majority of film I currently use for producing slides is actually Ilford FP4+, processed by dr5, turning out beautiful BW slides.

While I don't know the Braun projector you have, I can only say from my experience that my current Pradovit IR is by far the best projector I ever used for my slides. Combined with a Leica M and those lenses I enjoy it very much.

Recently, I find it more and more difficult to buy slide frames (I prefer framing my slides myself).

Matthew, I shoot about 90% slides in my M6: about half Kodachrome and half various E6. I love hearing of people like you who enjoy the slide show and process as I do. (I admit I covet the 75 summicron you have, but I make out pretty well with 50 cron, 35 cron asph + others.) I've inherited over the years 2 1970s Kodak carousels that don't work even though they probably just need a 50 cent part I can't identify. I bought a Leica P150 about 2 years ago, and I really enjoy it though I just have standard slide mounts (not glass) and am annoyed that I can't ever see the whole frame fully focused at one time. Its a pretty fun and decent little projector. It was cheaper than the better recently discontinued Kodaks that were about $400 (good ones, but not Kodaks top end). I have had very good results with screens I've made by spray painting polystyrene or even paper covered foam core with totally matt white primer. Make sure the surface is very flat, and if you need a different size screen, just make one. I have a sliding slide screen wall panel I made in my study and a pull out slide projector shelf that I made integral to a book case I also made. Much fun.

Some people don't realize that you can give a slide show at a party with 36 well selected slides in about 10 to 15 minutes-averaging just 10 to 15 seconds per slide. The key is to match your show with your audience and not expect to much, but anybody can handle 10 minutes of boredom, and some people will really get into it. I've had satisfying responses. Older people appreciate the nostalgia and the very young find it really cool-different+ the image quality is usually better than anything they have ever seen in their lives. For guests, compose it as fun for them and don't place expectations on them in their responses.

For enjoyment of the process, I just recommend that you have a process. I sort a role of 36 Kodachrome in sequence on a light box and usually cut out about 12. My wife and I enjoy the remaining 24 with a martini in the next convenient evening for about 15 or 20 minutes. She is a graphic designer, and I sollicit her thoughts enthusiastically. (Tip: Make sure and have some pictures of her and make sure she looks good; clothes are her option.) Its a special night each month. I usually select about 12 of those to go into slide sheets in binders I keep. All the rest go back in the box, perhaps never to be seen again, but that's O.K. The binders of the "best" slides will be looked at several times over the next 40 years, and some of them will hopefully be scanned by progeny with an as yet not marketed scanner. All of them will ultimately mildew and be lost in a fire around 2048.

"Older people appreciate the nostalgia and the very young find it really cool-different+"

My experience is just the opposite. Say "slide show" and older people clear the room faster than if you'd yelled "fire!", and young people remark how much better a "produced" show with music and (not overused)effects looks on a large plasma HDTV than sitting in a darkened room watching slides pop in and out of focus.

Giving a slide show is a "one trick pony" if you're attempting to impress others with your magnificent composition capabilities and superb choice of subjects. If you want others to see your slides and to comment, you have to know your audience and assemble the transparencies accordingly.

If you are using 'chromes to relive your mundane travel experiences or other defining moments in life, then skip the outside audience, as they won't care if your darling granddaughter's dress was yellow, red lace or if she was bare-bottomed.

However, if you have really outatanding chromes of VERY unusual places or occasions, then invite the neighbors - - but have an ample supply of beer and munchies. And KEEP IT SHORT ! Boredome sets in after around half of an 80-slide Carousel, or following one 50-slide tray.

Finally. You and your immediate loved ones can stand the out-of-focus "pops" that occur with cardboard-mounted chromes, but your external audience won't. So, glass mount the slides you intend to use to prove you are the latter day eincarnation of HCB (but shooting in color)

George (The Old Fud - - who had been boring the dickens out of friends for over 60 years with slide shows)

George said it better than I. Know your audience and keep it short, but I would add that even when you believe you have assessed your audience well, you can't go into it hanging your own feelings and pride in your work on the line unless you are showing one or two special friends or associates, whose perspectives on photography you already respect. If you invite the neighbors, the slides have to be part of providing a variety of amusing entertainment options for them as any good host would do, and that is tricky but possible.

I really enjoyed reading your responses.

I feel inspired to rig up the largest screen I can in my house. Perhaps I'll buy a pull down one or I might try to build on myself.

As regards audiences - 9 out of 10 of my slideshows are for me and my wife. The subject are either people we know or places we have been.

Cheers