I have always built my own desktop computers so I can build them to the specs

I need. Now though my mum has asked me to look for a laptop for her for

digital processing (photoshop CS2). This is where I fall down, with the

integrated graphics. I have done loads of research but I have never liked

integrated anything be it graphics or sound. I am looking at an Acer Aspire

5601AWLMi laptop with 1024 memory and intel centrino core duo 166 processor

(533 bus speed,2MB cache). IMO, the amount of memory,the core duo processor

and the 2MB cache should make up for the integrated graphics. I would love

some feedback to let me know if this laptop will be powerful enough to run CS2.

Thanks, James

Beyond what is needed to store the displayed raster, all RAM on graphic accelerators is essentially there for the 3D calculations. As a gross approximation, you may consider that anything beyond 32 MB is overkill if you only do 2D work. That said, some of the 2D work is now done though 3D APIs and even basic desktop environments now feature shiny moving things that consume GPU cycles so YMMV.

The laptop you are looking uses system RAM as video RAM. You will therefore loose a few dozen MB of system RAM to the GPU. Performance is affected, but for 2D work it is about irrelevant.

Now it is up to you to decide if 1 GB minus a few dozen MB is sufficient for the type of work your mother does. My JPEG workflow is comfortable with that, but opening many images or many applications may require more RAM for optimal performance.

I think that the memory (minus/including the graphic-memory, see post above) is suitable for the work which can be done with a laptop. Remember that the display isn't comparable with desktops and working with "huge" files isn't very satisfying (harddisk-speed is about half of 3,5"-HD-speed).

If you want more memory you should be able to replace both 512MBs with bigger ones.

The old IBM T30 Laptop with XP here has CS2 on it, and is maxed out at 1 gig of ram. The HDA is only 4200rpm, typical of this older type laptop. Your target laptop has probably a 5400rpm drive, maxes out at 2 gigs of ram, has 2 megs of L2 cache and should work ok too with cs2. A desktop computer has less concerns with power usage, and will open and save files quicker than a laptop. You might want to check out the screen of your target laptop before buying it.

<p>

Kelly Flanigan wrote :<br>

> [..] You might want to check out the screen of your target<br>

> laptop before buying it.<br>

</p>

<p>

Oh yes please do that ! I am currently on holiday and I use a borrowed laptop (quite a modern one with a P4 CPU) and now I understand how good my old Iiyama CRT at home is. I really feel uneasy correcting pictures on that laptop - I always wonder if I am not doing it completely wrong due to the tiny viewable angle and capricious luminosity... Good thing that I always keep a backup of my raw take !

</p>