Alex Majoli

Just received this book by Alex Majoli; "Leros".

It's a great classic B/W reportage book about a Greek Asylum. Amazing photos and story.

Bought it from foto8 in london, for 10.35 British Pounds ($19 US). Arrived after 11 days with

a nice handwritten card and a great catalogue! I highly recommend the book and the

company.

Why this concept of "film and equipment doesn't matter"? As if it's some kind of pride to not care? Why pretend it does not? Sure does to me. I'm infinitely interested in what film and camera was used and am not ashamed to say so.

Richard, it takes away from the photographer's contribution to obsess on the technology.

Yes, of course it's interesting to know how he made shots...but to an actual photographer the film camera is no more interesting than the film and developer (if as interesting). And if digital, the workflow is interesting. But this stuff is very much secondary to the man's vision and experience.

Djon

I'm not obsessing, and agree with you: it's secondary. But to dismiss it seemingly completely and say "it does not matter" is ludicrous and somehow seems to smack of a pompous attitude to me. As if to wonder or care which film he used and what camera he used to accomplish what he did makes me less of a photographer or artist myself.

Richard. Equipment matters a lot! I love my Leica gear, and my Tri-x negs. But I very often

end up preferring the result, rather than the equipment. Don't misunderstand me. I have tons

of very nice and too expensive gear, but what really counts in my book, is the photos, and

the stories they tell.

Choose the equipment that You like, and works for You/the situation. I do anyway.

Alex Majoli's "Leros" pictures, as per Magnum's photosite, were taken in 1994 and 1995. Now, if you go to Olympus's History of digital cameras, you will see that the first Olympus digital cam, at 0.8MP, was put out in 1996.

duh! this digital vs film, lieca vs anything else, is really getting old. One should at least do a little checking before they just blurt out the makings of another this vs that thread.

Yep, the pics are pretty good. Probably Leica.......however, I undetstand from a reliable source that he also has a nice collection of Konica Hexar AF's.

So, unless someone knows for sure, and can point to a reliable website that proves it, the camera used is UNKNOWN!

So, just enjoy some great photography until then.

Majoli's moving Leros photos remind me of Avedon's in "Nothin Personal," his collaboration with James Baldwin...(Avedon's sister was institutionalized and he was motivated).

From direct volunteer experience in the Sixties I'll say that even then, in the era of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", the nightmare asylums in the US were far ahead of the one Majoli documents in Greece. Terrible places either way, but worth thinking about, especially given Greece's EU status.

Avedon, famous for 8X10 and Rolleiflex, shot his asylum photos with Minox.

The British rag "Black & White Photography" had a spread on him and this project in particular. I will have to dig it up, I have that issue at home somewhere. My fav is the image of the old patient laying on the beach holding hands with the worker in the bikini.

• 3 months later...

This is emphatically NOT a Leica-plus-TriX vs. digital thread, but I'm interested in hearing

what other readers may think about this book. I bought a copy shortly after reading this

thread. It is a fantastic book and beautifully printed and produced. The more I looked at it

the more I realised just how little of it is shot in sharp focus. In some instances this may

be attributable to the very low light situations, but not always. It seems more of an

attempt to render what I can only call "painterly" qualities in the photographs. That is, it

seems an intrinsic part of Majoli's vision in telling this story.

I wonder if anyone else has been looking and puzzling over these stark, challenging and

moving pictures?

alun