robn125

I'm considering to purchase the Nikon wide angle zoom Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6

G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Nikkor Lens. But, I have noticed a similar lens for sale

for about $250.00 less. The only difference I can determine is that the

lesser priced lens is not a 'G' lens. I don't really know what this

difference is. Could someone explain and recommend whether the G lens is

worth the extra money.

Hi Robin,

Run from the other offer. Nikon makes only one 18-200 lens. You may be able to find the "grey" market ones priced cheaper, but that lens has been out of stock on and off the past 6 months, and a lot of folks are paying a premium (ie more than the MSRP).

Hope this helps,

I'll take a flyer:

Are you talking about a "Nikon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Autofocus Lens"? That fits the price point and the probable typo.

If so, the 28-200 is the 'one lens to do it all' for film cameras (at least that's how it's marketed). Since you seem to be a digital shooter, the 18-200 makes a lot more sense if you're looking for a one lens solution.

The lens I cite is a G lens, but it is not VR nor AF-S. Both of those latter features add to the value and usability of the lens.

I bought the Nikon 18-200mm DX VR lens recently and since then I've yaken some of the best pictures ever. It allows you to do everything - from wide angle up-close to extreme distance, and the macro stuff I've taken has been described as "outstanding" by other amateurs. This is a lens which - if you can find one - you should buy.