Photographing large groups without distortion

Hello,

Sometimes I see shots of large groups where I'm sure a wide angle lense was

used, but then I see enough details in the models which leads me to believe that

the the photographer was close or must have been zoom in all the way, and yet I

see no distortion. So my question is, what techniques are used for

photographing large groups of people and not coming out with a shot zoomed out

and 20 feet away with noticeable distortion on the edges?

I like group shots (even if it's just 8 people for example) where you can see

detail in people's faces (when enlarged to 16x20 or bigger). GAP and Banana

Republic ads do this a lot. They do a 2 page spread full of people cropped to

3/4 or not, and still see perfect detail and no distortion.

What leses? What techniques?

Thank you very much

<I>this example may be a composite.</i><P>

If I'm not mistaken, I could've sworn I read somewhere that it *is* a composite. I think Annie Liebowitz (sp?) did that shot.<P>

You might look at DxO Labs software correction solutions - PT Lens is an alternative software product - these are relatively inexpensive solutions that really can help a lot.

Other things that randomly come to mind: 1) Obviously use a triopd 2) Make sure tripod is level on both axis(es). 3) Not too sure this would be much help but a tilt-shift lens, possibly 4) Is it the Hasselblad Biogon with the built-in 38mm lens, I think? (Not interchangeable) I recall an old ad for the camera with a Charlie Chaplain look-a-like sitting in a square room with lines painted vertically and horizontally - all straight as an arrow - to demonstrate how distortion-free it is.

Egg-shaped heads are a result of rectilinear projection of a 3-D subject onto a plane. It is not "distortion" in the sense of a lens fault (barrel or pincussion distortion), but is a function of the angle of view.

All lenses, regardless of focal length, produce this distortion, but less as the focal length is increased (smaller angle of view). The "distortion" goes away if you view the print from a distance equal to the focal length times the enlargement factor.

It helps to keep sperical objects (i.e., heads) away from the corners and edges of the shot. This may not be practical for large groups, but works with environmental portraits. Flat or rectangular objects do not show this distortion.

• 3 weeks later...

Alain,

I'm not too sure whether I understand your question very well, but since you are probably French and me too, feel free to email me about it.

Meanwhile, here is the obvious - perhaps too obvious...:

1) If you can, move back a lot and shoot with a long lens - at least an 80mm, preferably a 105 or 135mm - again, that's IF distance allows.

2) If you can't move back... use a 4x5 camera - camera will allow you to control perspectives.

Regards.