w/hoods (the largest one being a 90)<br />

I looked at the fogg and billingham bags, but can't seem to find

one that fits my requirements, and they're a little too ostenatious in

any case. Ideally, I'd like a simple, sturdy dark green heavy canvas

bag, with the correct inserts. With that in mind, does anyone have any

suggestions? I'm trying to get the smallest possible size that'll fit

my requirements, even a body+lens+1 other lens solution would be

acceptable.

The domke f5xb might be right for you. Mine holds a hexar rf, 28 2.8, 50 2, and 90 2.8, plus 10-15 rolls of film. Around the edges I can slip in some filters, extra batteries, a notebook, and some model releases. It's made of very sturdy canvas, and it sits really well on my shoulder. Actually it's just about the perfect bag; anything bigger would just get heavier than I would want to carry.

On the rare occasion that I carry a bag I use the mid 1970's original Leica bag, the one the M Classics is based on. The tan canvas has never been washed and is a bit frayed in places. It's bigger than you want though. I see a lot of small bags at rummage and yard sales. I guess the camera breaks and they want to sell the bag. Under $5 for the most part, and sometimes come with a pack of lens tissue, even cleaning fluid!

An advantage of a cotton canvas bag over a "ballistic" nylon bag is that it is more gentle to

the clothing it rubs against. Depends on what you wear, but the tough textured nylons can

act as sandpaper against some clothing. Even the softer textured nylons tend to pill up many

clothing fabrics that they rub against.

Eagle Creek Padded Digi Case $40 @ www.REI.com

Intended for digicams and small film cameras.

Mine has plenty of room for camera with mounted 35, hood and finder, extra lens or two, film etc...ultra-compact (soft rectangular profile), grey, not attention-getting, and it's a safe easy-access top-loader (sealed zippers).

I protect my lenses with waffled-rubber recreational vehicle shelf padding (!) sold by Walmart et al ...just stuff a length of it into your camera case, fold around lenses as appropriate. Multiple internal dividers on dedicated cases waste space IMO, but this case does have a smaller front zippered compartment, also dense-foam padded, for a half dozen rolls of film, meter, and a less-frequently used lens/finder (my 90 Elmar).

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47781368&parent_category_rn=4501753&vcat=REI_SSHP_TRAVEL_TOC

This is another repeat of an answer to same question earlier...

I prefer and recommend the belt bag or waist bag Lowepro Orion Mini. Best bag IMO for bike riding, but also for just walking around. Exactly the right size for one M body with lens on, plus two lenses extra, plus room for a few rolls of film, 21 mm VF, light meter, notepad, pen, battery etc. No more unnecessary room for unnecessary stuff. Stable, rugged, light-weight, good belt, good zipper, good padding separators, good shockproofness, good waterproofness, good looks (unnoticeable), good price (low).

STephen,

For that outfit, i have found that the Billinham Small Hadley or the

S3 does the job perfectly. There is even a small bag that combines the

features of the Small Hadley and the S3.

Should you want something MUCH cheaper, I can offer a slightly used

Eagle Bag. Tan Nylon, 13x7x7 inches, with padded inserts-- $25 plus

shipping.

Jerry

i'd say go for the domke FXB or the billingham alice....i did a small review on the alice at

RFF you can check out here...

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?

t=7442&highlight=billingham+alice

it's actually not as showy as you might think...then again, it depends where you're going to

bring it and under what circumstances...i've been pleased with the alice so far and i've

gone through a few bags already...

I use a Domke F6 <a href="http://www.tiffen.com/domkecat08.htm" >"little bit smaller bag"</a> and find it very useful. I carry two M bodies with lenses attached and have room left for a meter, flash, extra lenses, film etc. Plus, it has two zipper pockets . . . one on the front for accessories (I have film, cable release, filters, etc. in the front pocket) and one under the top flap that I put intruction manuals in. Mine is green but I don't see green listed at B&H or Adorama. I have no idea why.