Johova Witness place so it will not be a huge place to shoot. I was wondering

about the Nikkor 24-120 VR lens but I have heard some mixed reviews and not

sure. I hate to have to change lenses since I am not really a "wedding"

photographer and don't want to screw up, as I will be rushed I am sure at some

point throughout.

If anyone has this lens, (70-200 VR), and shoots weddings with it, I would

LOVE to know if this is the way to go.

This lens has very precise focusing which is why I am wondering to use it the

entire wedding because of the background elements.

Thanks!

-Andrea

Andrea, several wedding phtogs I've seen and read about (in the Nikon pro series on their website) say they love using the 70-200 at weddings. Great shots from the balcony, hand-holding in available light. . .candids.

I've enjoyed using it at a few functions, for precisely that reason.

Although you can make it work, a 70-200 seems pretty long to me to do an entire wedding, particularly on a digital camera with a sub-35mm-size image sensor.

When I shoot weddings I use a 24-85 and 80-200 but I shoot on film so you need to multiply those focal lengths by about 2/3 to get the same range with your digicam.

A 28-105 might not be bad on digital, as long as you don't need to shoot large groups at normal distances. The only f/2.8 28-105 is Tamron's, however.

With you saying the venue is cramped, I can't imagine how using a 70-200 on a digital body will work very well.

70mm at 1.5 magnification = 105mm. That is not ideal for a group of six to eight folks unless you have the space to back up, way back. And the 70-200mm lens only gets 'stronger,' so maybe you can find a good AF 28mm f2.8D Nikkor (or something wider) for part of the wedding.

The issue of having a back-up camera to tote along is up to you, but if anything 'happens,' be prepared to have excuses 1 through 9 in your memory when you have to explain something abnormal happened. A wedding is not the place to have a problem determine not all the images can be captured on a card or on film...

I love an 80-200 2.8 on a Digi body for weddings but I also have another camera with a

Wider lense to capture overview shots.

I would rather be 'stuck' with a Long lens than a short one. You will get more unique

Photos of small isolated moments. Everyone's Grandma has a wide-ish Digicam at a

wedding.

jmp

The 70-200 will be nice for natural light shots of the couple from the back of the church, however if you try to use it for groups of three or more you will not have enough flash to light them well. In addition the pews will start getting in the way if you have to back half way down the center isle to get a larger group. For weddings we use one body with a 17-35 and one with a 35-70. For long shots of the ceremony we will use a 70-200 or a 300 2.8 to get really tight.

I would use the 70-200 on one camera body (D200) and my 28-105 or 18-70 mm DX on a second camera body (D70). Very broad coverage, no change of lenses. May have to change the flash from camera to camera. Bring 1-2 two additional sets of batteries for the flash, and several extra CF cards.

I love working with the 70-200, but there are many times where it is simply too long, even at events.

Steven