balanced lighting, flourescents, and tungstens... the prints are

about as neutral as it gets. I've been devoted to traditional B&W

processes for a while and continue to shoot film and scan. I admire

those who continue to print traditionally, but I don't have the time

anymore, so that side of my wet darkroom is now for sale (along with

my R1800). The 2400, and I think digtial printing in general,

doesn't quite match the quality and feel of a fine B&W fiber or

Ilfochrome print, but it's close enough for me. Haven't tried color

yet, but I don't doubt it will be great also.

Yes, Epson has resolved their neutral B&W print issues, but is that at the cost of color prints ? This is what my prime concern is, I would like to hear, whether its an allround printer or just specialized B&W.

Thanks for your input

Sounds like you got it figured out. The R1800 and R2400 are two completely different animals. One is not the replacement for the other. The inksets are very different. I'm looking forward to the R2400 as I'm a B&W guy for most part. If I want to print wild colour, I might consider the R1800 too. Hell, there are a number of USB ports on the average Mac or PC these days anyways.

I just got my r2400 and I can second the opinion that you get neutral greyscale prints right out of the box with excellent tonality. I scanned in some TMAX 3200 shot @ 1600 on a Dimage Scanner Elite 5400 with the grain disolver on and then just adjusted the contrast and brightness a bit and printed the file from Photoshop.

I only have made a few 4 x6 prints on Inkjet Press's double sided matte paper and used the Epson profile. I havent even cracked open Epson Enhanced Matte papers yet to see how that looks.

I am new to the digital darkroom. Can anyone tell me if they like any particular Inkjet Press papers for B & W matte printing? I only bought a bunch of 4x6 paper from them because it was so cheap in comparison to other papers.

Is it true that the Epson Enhanced Matte paper yellows over time?

I know you can't tell from a flatbed scan of a print but here is a few shots that I was happy with printing right out of the box with no experience with film scanners or photo printers.<div>00CW2y-24085684.jpg.763e842cd053f8ac3e8b9f3e5a8d91be.jpg</div>

"Is it true that the Epson Enhanced Matte paper yellows over time?"

As EEM is not completely acid free, it will yellow over time. But in this case, time is spelled in decades, not years.

A good replacement for EEM is a 100% cotton, acid free paper like Premier Art Premium Matte 210 Gram Weight, 11.4 mil Thickness. It has a whiter base than EEM.

http://www.photowarehouse.biz/premier.html

I'm just one day into using the R2400, previously I used a 2100/2200 with an Image Print RIP, before that Piezographic inks. And throughout them both I've also used a traditional wet darkroom. But the R2400 is a fantastic advance on anything else. Rich velvety blacks, no trace of metamerism or bronzing, ultra crisp details, and rich tonality.

The only downsides I can see are the lack of soft proofing for toning (but it's still more precise than darkroom toning), no split toning, and the papers aren't quite the equal of air dried fibre gloss (but it's extremely close and I understand new papers are scheduled). For me at least this family of printers means black and white digital has finally come of age.

• 3 weeks later...

The color prints are AMAZING! Have so far only printed to enhanced matte and double

sided matte papers, but I ran a couple 13 x 19 inch prints last night from high rez files

and I am completely satisfied with this machine. I had previously been printing to a 2200,

and in a side by side comparison, the 2400 definitely has it beat by a visible margin. More

subtle tonal gradation and it looks like a tad more sharpness as well.

Bottom line is that this looks like a printer that can do it all - can't wait to start putting it

through its paces on glossy paper as well.