Mermaid Style Wedding Gown -Creative ideas?

shannon k

It looks like the cover of DIGITAL WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHY by Bambi Cantrell might have a bride on the front with a mermaid style dress (not sure) but she's sitting length-wise on a bench in front of a window and has the dress pulled up to show off legs and knees and the Loooong viel is wrapphed around her arm ... look at book on Amazon and it might show the cover.

Other idea:

I just googled: Mermaid Wedding Gown

and if you search the links you can get some ideas on what some shots might be But they are not all that Creative but may spark a Creative Idea.

If there are slender columns nearby then I'd place her by anything that tends to rise (like a column or fence), anything Vertical or like

Bambi do the opposite and take her horizontal to contrast the lengthy look of the gown.

I've got more Ideas but my scales are getting dry and I need to get back into the sea.

You might find some inspiration looking at bridal gown designers' websites. I think on The Knot website you can even search for gowns by silhouette, so you could narrow it to mermaid style ones. One of my brides had a pseudo-mermaid style gown with a very slight sweep train. It flared really gorgeously when she twirled around on the dance floor. It really depends on the gown, though, I imagine. Also the shape of the bride. An hourglass shape in a mermaid gown looks entirely different than a very slender, less curvy frame would, and different poses would be more or less flattering to each body type.<div>00HW49-31516784.jpg.154e5af9bb492f0ca6e45cab8d554541.jpg</div>

Shannon, a couple more thoughts:

1) If you can find a bridge that has one of the wide rails she can sit on the railing and extend her bended legs down the railing with dress pulled up enough to show legs up to thighs and she can lean back and look upwards ... not sure I'm explaining it well but it might look dynamic if photographed from the other side of the street/bridge with sky as background.

2) If the dress has a long train or tube-like extension you could capture that by getting her up on something that allows the dress to fall naturally straight down instead of it just hitting the ground at her feet. hmmmm, have her stand on a chair but the dress falls over the chair and actually covers the chair and it looks like she's very tall or floating above the ground because the dress is falling naturally to the floor.

Below: Not exactly the dress you're referring to but it make trigger an idea for a session using "funky" sites around your area. Good Luck.<div>00HX62-31539884.JPG.cb9060827039ec36ed7483d9ae47fe31.JPG</div>