Katz Eye for D200

Jim_Tardio

Just thought I'd post a recommendation for the Katz Eye focusing screen for the

D200 (and other cameras as well). I installed mine today before a shoot and all

I can say is it's fantastic.

<p>

Manual focusing with my AIS lenses is fun again.

<p>

It did take a while to install with my bumbling fingers and 50-year-old eye

sight, but I managed to get it in without damaging anything...although I plan on

removing it to blow away a bit of dust.

<p>

If you're thinking of getting one, don't hesitate any longer. It really does

make a difference. And, no, I don't have any affiliation with them.

Hi Jim

I have read your post and im surprised because i've never heard about Katz Eye. So i visited the link you wrote, but im not very sure about the benefits of this focusing screen comparing the standar nikon on the D200 ﾿could you please explain them?

Please excuse my bad english

Regards Carlos

<i>Just curious if you got the optibrite or regular treatment on the screen.</i>

<p>

I bought the regular screen. I may, however, get the optibrite for a second body. But the regular is bright enough for me. The Katz Eye faq states that the optibrite treatment takes a little away from the focusing "snap". And I wanted that snap.

<p>

<i>but im not very sure about the benefits of this focusing screen comparing the standar nikon on the D200 ?could you please explain them?</i>

<p>

The benefit to me is the split-prism focusing circle and the matte finish in that circle that makes your images "pop" into focus with certain lenses, like telephotos.

<p>

<i>1. Does it impact the warranty on the D200?

2. Has anyone had the Katz eye people install the screen on their camera? Turnaround time? </i>

<p>

I'm not sure about the warranty, but I imagine it would indeed impact it. But the warranty is only 1 year...I have my OEM screen that I would pop back in there should I need repairs in the 1 year period.

<p>

I don't know anyone who has had Katz Eye install the screen. It's not that difficult. I believe the turnaround time is listed on their site.

<p>

<i>are you saying that this screen is more helpful and more precise for manual focusing than the camera's own focus confirmation green dot?</i>

<p>

Yes, for me it is because I have to shift my eye to see the green dot. With the split image I don't.

<i>"are you saying that this screen is more helpful and more precise for manual focusing than the camera's own focus confirmation green dot?

Yes, for me it is because I have to shift my eye to see the green dot. With the split image I don't."</i><br><Br>

The focus confirmation light is simply inadequate (read FALSE) for fast lenses, or with lenses with minimal DOF. Re: 50/1.4, 80/1.4, 105/1.8. It cannot evaluate focus for these lenses.<br><Br>

I have the OptiBrite version, and the thing is simply stellar. I have only 3 AF lenses now-- as I've been constantly migrating to AIS-land. Yes, it's THAT much better.

I concur with all the positive comments said. I shoot manual lens and the screen is the way

to go. With a 50mm f1.2 I can now focus! <P>I will add that turnaround time is 6 weeks but

you don't have to send your camera in right away. You pay for the service and they will

inform you when the screen is ready and then you send the camera in, turnaround time this

way was one week from west to east coast. As far as warranty goes the Nikon screen can be

put back in if you need to send the camera to Nikon. Katzeyes sends the old screen back

with the camera.