645 Composition

duncan_a

What Ben said. I think all <abbr title="single-lens reflex cameras">SLRs</abbr> have the frame in landscape, while all folders and rangefinder cameras have the frame in portrait format. While it is of course easy to hold each camera the other way, it is virtually impossible to use a <abbr title="single-lens reflex camera">SLR</abbr> with a <abbr title="waist-level finder">WLF</abbr> handheld in portrait format and very inconvenient with a tripod.

Landscape is with the frame in horizontal (long side horizontal, short side vertical). With the 6x6 format it's the same obviously and of no use to turn the camera. A camera like the Hasselblad that usually has the waist level finder will have a 6x6. The photographer would then crop the negative if he wanted a rectangular shape either portrait or landscape. I kind of like to shoot everything, even portraits in the landscape look, but then people pictures are mostly my family and in a 4x6 photo album I do not like to have to flip the album to view the picture. However if I am thinking of an enlargment then I flip my camera sometimes. I have the Mamiya Pro tl(metered prism) which is easy enough to flip on it's side for the vertical look. (portrait)...Good luck....Nolan

For 645, just think about your film path orientation. The rectangular frame is meant to use the whole width of the film.

If the film spools feed the film from the bottom of the camera to the top, then the wide side of the image frame would stretch across the film - landscape.

If your camera feeds the film left to right across the image then the width of the film is top-to-bottom and the image will be in Portrait mode.