Mamiya 645 front lens cap,

Mamiya 645 rubber lens shade,

Batteries for camera and winder,

Mamiya 645 220 film insert

Condition -- Mint +

Being very new to MF photography, I cannot make a decision on which option is

better for me. I am not a professional photographer. Any suggestions/comments

are appreciated. I am currently going with choice 1 as I feel that the 645e is

a good choice for getting into MF photography.

The single most significant characteristic of MF and what sets it apart from 35mm is negative size. Thus, I suggest staying away from 645 and going to at least 6x6 or better yet 6x7. Not only will you end up with better quality photos, you'll also have a greater range of cameras to purchase..

The Pentax 67, the RB67 S or ProSD or the more expensive RZ67 series are all great ( RB esp. for portrait photography) the Rolleiflexes or ...

If you're really jsut getting into this try a Yashica MAT G (twin-lens.) Inexpensive & good quality.

Between only these two choices, I would choose #1. It's less expensive if you only want to test the water and the M645E is a good amateur level camera with its accurate <abbR title="auto-exposure">AE</abbR> prism. The only essential thing lacking is an 120 film insert. Keep in mind that the M645E doesn't have interchangeable finders, so you cannot use a <abbr title="waist-level finder">WLF</abbr> (which is a dealbreaker for me).

<p>

Like both choices, #2 is a bit on the expensive side, and only one slow standard lens is not so desireable. You might even find an old RZ67 with an <abbR title="auto-exposure">AE</abbR> prism (<i>if</i> you need one) and a "used" Sekor Z or nice Sekor C lens for this much.

<p>

If you want to try medium format, you can find on that big internet auction site kits with older M645 bodies and several lenses (including the fast 80mm f/1.9 lens) for considerably less than option #1. An <abbR title="auto-exposure">AE</abbR> prism is handy, but think about getting a modern hand-held light meter instead. As a previous poster said, also consider Mamiya RB67/RZ67 <abbR title="single-lens reflex cameras">SLRs</abbR>. Personally, I would stay away from <abbR title="twin-lens reflex cameras">TLRs</abbR>.

Vijay, if you wish to consider good value for the bucks you may like to consider the Pentax 645. Both Bronica and Pentax are selling well below what they were a few years back and they are both excellent systems with a fairly extensive range of good lenses. But do not go into medium format gear for the thought they would hold up well in value. Most have taken a big bash since digital.