I just wanted to say

EricM

that it's really cool how many R-D1s users and pix have been posted lately. Most

of us will remember the threads from three years ago and more about digi and the

flame wars and just wanted to say that it's great that so many have embraced a

new medium and are active in posting great shots.

That's all, keep it up and hope you had a good weekend!

Since equipment doesn't matter, the gist of the digi flame wars back in the day, why is it 'great that so many have embraced a new medium'? The new medium stands no greater chance of producing decent images then the old medium.

I agree that it 'seems' that digital users take more pics. My theory is that we will see an exponential increase in Vernacular photography over time. Which is a perverse result of more pics being taken via digital capture.<br>Rather then rummaging through attics, the future of Vernacular photography will involve surfing old archives of digitally store pics on the net.<br> Interesting images to look at, regardless of purpose, intent or talent is a good thing.

James wrote: "there is something to be said for inexpensive practice."

Doug wrote: "Interesting images to look at, regardless of purpose, intent or talent is a good thing."

QFT. BTW I don't see digital as instant coffee. I see it as simply a different kind of (real) coffee. I make myself Greek/Turkish coffee now and then and one of the attractions is that it's so easy. It's okay that somebody else grew and ground the beans* for me if the quality is excellent. Which it is.

*Jasper Coffee is great if you're in Melbourne. They have a stall at the Prahran Market. Their variety is good.

"Vernacular photography" is an interesting term. As a former poet, I like it, but then again it doesn't make clear sense. Vernacular is clearly associated with language--espcially spoken language. Nonetheless, it is an interesting term, but far from what I think was meant. I am guessing that "vernacular photography" would refer more closely to one's original and familiar medium, such as film, in this context.

"Robert Haller , aug 07, 2006; 05:44 p.m.

Digital is what "Nespresso" is to REAL Espresso. It is a substitut and far away from the real ting.

Just a bit trashy in a way and I would never ever never dumb my MP for an MD - never in my life.

If I?m the "Fidel" of Analogue - I can life with it.."

I like the real ting(sic) too, but I also like gnu experiences.

"Vernacular is clearly associated with language--espcially spoken language."

<p>

Not really. Vernacular is a term frequently applied to art, and even more often

to architecture. It means native, domestic or local and perhaps naive or

unpretentious. Not terms invariably associated with black and white film

photography.

"If you're not shooting digital, you're not serious about photography."

Gosh, that's a pretty strident comment. It sounds like some sort of totalitarian edict. A bit

like claiming that if you don't wear a photo vest, you're not serious about photo-

journalism.

I'm happy shooting either. To each his, or her, own.