Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 on D50

jams

I am thinking to buy a zoom lens. I hear this lens is worth every penny...true?

What is the minimum focus (in feet) on this thing?

How does it compare to the 70-200 vr...optically?

Any sample pictures would be appreciated!

thanks !

James, I will say this is by far the best lens that I have. It is tough, it is sharp. I love it. I have not used the 70-200 vr, but I have 2 other VR lens, the 80-400 and the 18-35. The 80-400 is ok. I love the 18-35, my other favorite lens, but I have had problems with it, and I am on my second one. If you look in my portfolio alot of the tight portraits were taken w/ the 80-200 2.8. I can't remember...but I would highly recommend this lens, and I work for the army and my gear gets very beat up. Any other questions, email or here.

There are at least four versions of Nikkor 80-200/2.8 lenses. The recently discontinued AF-S version is about the same, optically, as the 70-200/2.8 VR - very sharp and free from aberations. Then there are two AF-D lenses, both two-touch, one with a tripod foot and the other without. They are the same, optically, but not quite up to AF-S quality. Older yet, is a push-pull AF lens. It is OK optically, but hard to carry because there is not enough friction to keep the zoom ring in place when you point up or down.

You can find MTF charts for these lenses on the Japanese site http://www.nikon-imaging.com

You will want to use a tripod with these lenses, consequently you probably won't use them as much as you would the latest VR lens. I get an high percentage of keepers with the VR lens as slow as 1/15 second. For consistent results, the non-VR lens must be used at 1/500 second or shorter when hand-held on a DSLR.

James

The 80-200 that I have is the last Non AFS is a fine lens. It is not as sharp wide open as the 70-200 and it shows more CA then the 80-200. It is soft at 200mm wide open.

Also you need to watch out for the lens wanting to shift on the mount when it is on the camera. The first one I had would turn aprox 10 degrees side to side with the lens locked on my D100. I sent that one back the second one I got still twists a little but not enough to make me worry.

On my D2h it focuses very fast. Not as fast as an AFS lens but very good for a D type.

I have a ton of sample pics but I can not get to them just right now. I will post a few later.

BTW what version are you looking at?

Michael

I love mine. I have the older af-d push pull version. Focus is fairly fast on my D50 and the image quality is great. Wide open gives a very pleasing contrasty semi soft image with great bokeh. Stop it down a bit on a bright day and its sharp as a tack once a little unsharp mask is applied. I'm going to catch a lot of flack for this statement but its the first Nikon lens that I have been really pleased with. Having said that it is also my first Professional grade Nikon lens. My only experience with pleasing lenses are of the Zeiss variety.

Here are some samples I took last weekend at a local Surf Contest. Keep in mind that I now have a teleconverter on order.

http://picasaweb.google.com/danapark/SweetwaterReefProAMWBDay3/photo?pli=1#s4952451763609796626

James

I would want to try the sigma out. The HSM will make it focus faster then the older D type Nikon But I can not say anything about its optical quality. I own a ten year old Sigma MF 70-300 APO that is still a good lens. It looks ugly and the focus and zoom are very loose but it still takes sharp photos when I do my part.

Michael