after awhile with the current strap. My neck gets hot/sweaty and sometimes I

strap just gets uncomfortable. Does anyone make a neck strap out of some of

the "cooler" fabric materials or does anyone on the forum have a strap they

just love? I did a search and saw recommendation for OP/Tech and a couple

others but its sort of hard to tell anything about comfort from looking at a

page on a site.

Thanks

S

actually the Op/Tech Pro Strap is the most comfortable strap I've ever used. The way it redistributes the weight off of the neck is great. It makes even a Mamiya C220 TLR beast feel comfortable on my neck. As far as the sweat part, it's still hot and sweaty, but I usually wear a shirt with a collar, and wearing the strap on the shirt, under the collar works as well as possible. I personally doubt if the breathable fabrics would feel good (weight distribution wise) on the neck for very long.

I must admit, when I first read their claims of making the weight of the cam feel 50% lighter, I was extremely skeptical. But, that TLR was killing my neck....anything was worth a try. Worked great. I eventually have changed all my cams over to this strap system.

Tamrac N27 Boomerang strap or Tamrac N45.

As to the worries wrt the QR, I secure them with a couple of small tie wraps - yes, it defeats the purpose of the QR. No big deal since these are two of the comfortable straps I've ever had -- especially nice for heavy cameras -- F5 or D200 w/ MBD200.

My favorite by far is a Tamrac (not sure of model, it's so old), with leather padding and QR. It's comfortable and I use the QR all the time... really like being able to get rid of the strap when the camera is on a tripod. No problems with it at all. -Greg-

I'm with Greg S. Some time ago I bought a bulk batch of used Tamrac straps from KEH for some ridiculously low price. Three of the five were the nice ones with leather padding and fastex buckle releases, and I find them comfortable on the shoulder, even carrying my dreadnaught FTn through the woods. The plastic doesn't scratch up the camera when I stuff it in the case, and the quick releases are handy when I want the strap out of the way on a tripod.

The strap that came with my D70 wasn't too bad but when I got the D200, the same type of strap cut into the neck after hauling it around all day. I found an old neoprene strap in the used bin at a local camera store and love it. It's not so stretchy that it causes the camera to bounce but it has enough cushion to take off the edge of the weight.

One approach is to buy the sheepskin protector used with seatbelts. The sheepskin goes around the strap and attaches to itself with velcro inside. The sheepskin is about two inches wide and quite comfortable. The sheepskin can be easily switched from strap to strap if you have more cameras or a bag. It is available at an auto parts chain store, or, as I recall, I bought mine at Wal-Mart. It was about $5.00 as I recall. Dave

I'll buck the trend and suggest LowePro Neoprene neckstraps.

They are very comfortable and can be packed tiny if needed (a big factor for me when I'm trying to squeeze camera+lens, one extra lens, flash, reflector and a couple other gizmos into the Topload 75 AW).

I agree with what Greg and Matthew have said about the old Tamrac with the leather and

quick release. The leather is more of a brushed suede, so it's quite comfortable around

the neck. It also stays vey cool on hot days, unlike sheepskin and other methods I've tried.

I like it much better than neoprene, which for me gets unconfortable when the weather

gets sticky (but I admittedly turn into a human faucet in extreme humidity). I have a few

of those Tamrac straps floating around my bags - they are just so comfortable.

<p>I believe the model number I have is the <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

bnh/controller/home?

O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=112416&is=REG&addedTroughType=search">Tamrac

N-45</a>. In any event, they are readily available and pretty cheap.

• 7 months later...

I hope this isn't too late...

I wanted a confy strap for my D70s & 18-200 VR. None of the straps out there were long enough, except the UPStrap. However, I did not like the look of that one. I also did not want any quick disconnects- too scary. After hours & hours of OCD-type research, I came up with something. I bought a used neck strap for $1. You need 3/8 to 1/2" webbing to attach to the D70. I then used an old 2" wide, black cotten guitar strap, which you can get for $9.99 anywhere. You use the entire guitar strap (with the leather ends trimmed down), plus the 1/2" nylon webbing portion of the old neck strap.

I took both of them to a shoe repair shop. The way the 1/2" webbing attaches to the 1.5" neck strap is excactly how you have them attach the 1/2" webbing to the leather end portion of the guitar strap. They sew it in between the 2 plys of leather, after cutting down the leather a bit.

The cotton strap is comortable, and even gives a tiny bit. It also absorbs perspiration if around you neck. The guitar strap is easilly adjustable, and can be shortened for a neck strap, or lengthened to a bandolier style strap that can be worn around the neck and chest, with the camera hanging by your side. I put an Optech neoprene pouch around the camera. Also, you should wear the strap so the camera lens points inward toward your side.

You could also have that made with the disconnects, which you can buy cheaply on the internet.

If anyone is interested, I can submit a photo of it, or even a rough drawing.

This is a light weight, very comfortable and versitile system.

• 5 months later...