Which one?

Is me againt Ok I'm a photography student and I want to be a General Photographer

(lanscape,fashion,weddings,journalis,corporati,sport,trave, ett) I like Canon very much

and I would like to start with film then switch to digital.Today Canon's film cameras are cheap

so wich model should I buy 1v, Canon3, elan, I don't know you tell me I can afford to buy at

least 2 (used) bodies

The EOS 3 represents the best price/performance ratio on the used market. You can pick up a clean body for around $325 on Ebay. It's a great camera, and if you add the PB-E2, it's a blazingly fast one too. I bought a body and grip combo in pristine shape for $400.

There is no question that the EOS3 is a great deal at $350ish. I chose to buy an Elan 7N w/ battery grip for around $170. If high speed film advance is not paramount the Elan 7N has about 80% of the feature set of the EOS 3. It is well built and feels very nice in my hand. I also find it to be nice and quiet and not particularly heavy. The EOS 3 is a better camera in every respect except for weight, noise and cost.

I chose to purchase an Elan 7N and save my pennies towards my digital setup. I love my next XT, 17-40, 70-200, 50 1.8 and Sigma 28 1.8. If given the choice, spend some extra money on lenses and less on bodies!

I'm going to get slated for this, but never mind...

Forget the film body. Buy a used DSLR. It will enable you to learn photography at a much quicker rate, and you will be able to take so many pictures without spending a penny/cent.

Think of the cost of an EOS3, but then add development and printing costs for say 1000 shots...

Those that say going to film first when learning are old sentimental fools, lost in idealization, and these same types romance film in many strange ways.

I still shoot film, but ONLY for black & white.

I would strongly suggest that if you really want to learn, the very best way in this new century is to get a DSLR because it means cheap shooting, very frequent shooting, and now this is the kicker....digital gives you IMMEDIATE FEEDBACK, which is crucial when leaning anything.

I love my EOS-3 and will never part with it, but I'm also a realist, pragmatist, and not stuck in the film idealization and romance quigmire.

I have an EOS-3 and a 5D. The 5D is way more practical in nearly every respect (I hear the EOS-3 might be better sealed against weather), and has been said, it gives you much more freedom in learning and experimentation.

Nevertheless, I personally find a certain je ne sais quois about my results with film that I prefer over the digital. There might be something I could do in post-processing, but oh well, I still shoot film every now and then. It looks neat to me. Probably in the same way that some people really prefer listening to vinyl records over CDs or MP3s... :-)

If you do decide to go with film, maybe get an Elan first, and see how you like it. If it's adequate for your needs, then you'll save a bit of money. I bought an EOS-3 because I wanted the alleged weather sealing. In retrospect, I probably should have bought an Elan myself, but oh well, there's not enough resale value in film cameras to make it worth switching, and I'm perfectly happy with it.

If you plan to take formal courses in photography, many courses required specific types of cameras to use. So find out about the camera requirement, before buying a camera. If you are allowed to use an auto-focus film camera, my suggestion would be the EOS 3.

Dan: the review of the EOS-3 here on photo.net claims that Canon said the camera is weather-sealed. I've heard other people say that it's not weather sealed. I don't know for sure.

Either way, if I had to take pictures in inordinately wet weather, I would certainly go for my EOS-3 over my 5D -- if absolutely nothing else, the EOS-3 would be cheaper to replace if it got destroyed. :-)

Shooting slide film has a certain advantage: slide film is very unforgiving. You'll know when you over and underepexpose. I chose to learn when I decided to shoot slide film with my Elan 7. Now, I'm pretty good at shooting slide film; I should be ready for anything. If having all the bells and whistles is important to you, choose the EOS 3. An Elan 7 has served me well, so possibly it will do the same for you. It can use lesser quality (slower) lenses, so it might be a better camera for a beginner. The only real advantage that I can see for the EOS 3 is that the spot meter. The increased FPS means nothing to me. The Elan 7/7E/7N/7NE is a great camera. I highly recommend it.