Want to go raw and manual

tony_craig

Change settings to raw+jpg. Play in photoshop. Manual mode has its time and place. Play in AV and TV modes first. I only use M for flash work, studio strobe work and/or if I have my meter with me (sometimes use camera meter and view LCD to find in exposure settings). I mainly do this at the motorcycle races I shoot because the different color bikes change the exposure too much. Tight shots shooting multiple fames per second from a white bike to a black bike, can be a bit too much for the on camera metering vs locking the exposure.

Mark

Except for very low light and flash I almost never use M mode. Are you sure you want to ? Before switching from the green square to M try Av or Tv. My camera sits in Av most of the time. If necessary I dial in exposure compensation.

One guy I talked to was very proud that he used only M mode. Of course he used the matchstick display to set his shutter speed. The result was the same as Av but 10 times slower.

Unless you was to completely disregard the camera meter for some reason (flash and low light are classic examples) stay away from M.

Bruce Fraser's book "Real World Camera RAW" is an outstanding place to start. It's focused on photoshop but the principles apply to most RAW converters.

I rarely use manual mode, most photographers use Av for general shooting and Tv for sports/action

More and more I find myself switching to manual after I understand the lighting of a

particular situation. This seems to be good discipline, since it forces me to understand

the light. I start in Av, and when I have found an exposure that is working for a particular

situation (by reviewing the histogram), I switch to M, set that exposure, and change it only

as the subject changes or to change exposure combinations for creative purposes.

Working this way, I make fewer exposures, especially in backlit or other difficult situations,

in which the camera is easily "fooled." I have been taking pictures since before automatic

exposure was available, and I believe that working in manual is a great way for new

photographers to learn the craft--and for old photographers to rediscover it.

For what it's worth.

Bill

I used to shoot with Contax gear which had a really convenient way of locking the exposure in Av/Tv mode. Just turn the on/off switch another notch and the exposure was locked until you turned the switch back. I shot exclusively in Av mode aside from flash which I did in manual mode.

On my Canon gear there's a button I can push but the exposure is only locked as long as the viewfinder display is on. Once the display times out after six seconds, the exposure information is lost. Well, forgive me, but I can't get the camera onto the head of the tripod and recompose in only six seconds. Thus, the Canon way of exposure lock is useless to me. Hence, I use manual mode 99.999 % of the time.

Some people have been led to believe that manual (M) mode is for experts only. That's pretty far from the truth. What manual mode (and Av, Tv) does, however, is giving you complete creative control. In order to get consistent, predictable results you need to train your eye to see medium tone. Or at least to recognize the tonality of a subject. Is it light, dark, medium, etc. And secondly, do you want it to appear light, dark, medium in the picture? Once that way of thinking has become second nature, exposure is really easy. This is where spot meters come in handy (no you don't have to be an expert to use a spot meter). A spot meter allows you to meter a select part of a scene with a tonality that you recognize and set the exposure accordingly. Yeah, it's slower in many cases than the point & click approach of program mode, but it's more consistent.

That said, there are many pros and others who use program (P) mode with matrix metering and get great results.

I'd say shoot in whatever mode gives you predictable results with the amount of creative control you are comfortable with. Shoot raw or jpg. It's the pictures that matter. Not how you got there.

Tom

The two most useful functions to learn in any modern camera for greater control is the A setting where you select the aperture (for desired depth of field) and the exposure compensation setting where you can dial in + or - compensation to the automatically selected shutter speed. Manual setting does not bring anything more to this, unless you use a separate light meter and with digital camera this would not be very useful anyway. Look at the histogram and practice setting the exposure right.

Back in my day (i'm only 26) I learned using a pentax MX so there wasn't an auto option... or a Av Tv mode...

personally i'd agree with the consensus though just switch it to manual start taking pictures and learn from your mistakes... you'll learn more by making mistakes than always getting perfect.

one other thing though if you're going to use a manual mode use a custom white balance it can make all the difference!

Yes, yes, yes, use M mode and take bad pictures "not on purpose though" Look at the bad ones along with the exif and figure out what you did wrong. You wont always be able to tell but most of the time you will. It's a good exercise to learn from and has helped me a lot over time. Looking at the good ones and exif helps as well.

Tony, I'd start with one or the other - manual or raw, but doing both at the same time

could create lots of confusion and it'd be easy to learn bad habits as you try to correct

problems in post. I shot manual mode jpg's for a few years and it taught me a lot about

exposure (how to get it right and why it's so important) and about white balance (how

subtle changes can make the difference between really really nice colors and adequate

colors).

Learn to read a histogram and blinking highlights and you'll figure out exposure relatively

quickly. I'd start there. Once you get some experience and learn how the sensor

responds to various conditions, you'll be able to use raw capture more effectively. If you

don't know what you're doing, or what you're trying to do, all raw offers is more ways to

screw up. Be patient, and it'll pay off as you figure things out. Good luck!- B