Rangefinder gear bags

aaron_lind

Im looking for a small and rugged bag for my zeiss ikon. All of the bags I run into at the local camera

places and on the internet seem to be marketed towards SLR users. Are there any bags that are made

more specifically for rangefinders? I was looking at the domke fx-3 since I already have a domke for my

hasselblad and like the build quality on that unit. Does anyone here use that model?

I use the Domke 3X and while I like it, it is a bit deep for rangefinder use. I compared it with the 5X but since I like to take a bit more gear I thought it was a better choice. I've built up the compartments with some foam to reduce the volume and add additional protection if it should get dropped.

I carry an M4, 35 f/2, 50 f/2 and 90 f/2. Also a cleaning kit, 6-10 rolls of film, a Leitz tabletop tripod and ballhead and a Gossen handheld lightmeter. There's still room for 135 or digicam. There's also a sleeve at the back and a zippered compartment in the top flap that I don't use yet.

It has a Velcro closure which some people don't like. I carry a small piece of spare Velcro which I put on when I don't want to make noise.

Hope this helps some.

I've been looking at lot at bags recently for much the same reason Aaron. I think I'm going to end up with a Domke F-5xb. It is the right size for my purposes.

There was thead within the last couple of months here on the LF that discussed the F-5xb in depth. You might want to search for it and see what people contributed there as well.

I don't use a FX-3, but I use a Timbuk2 laptop messenger bag: it's padded, waterproof,

and doesn't have the name of a camera bag company on it. It is available in a multitude of

colors. It fits well over one shoulder and has a waist strap for balance (and added security),

and it makes it easy to ride a bike with the bag. The front flap is secured by Velcro and

two plastic buckles. Inside, I fit one Domke padded insert, into which slips (perfectly) a

Leica M6 and attached 35mm lens; the rest of the bag is padded enough for my second

lens, light meter, film, maps, etc. You could also look at the Domke F-802 or F-803 bags,

which are rangefinder sized. Enjoy your Zeiss system and whatever bag you get!

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, go to a big sporting goods/fishing store and look

at reel bags. They are generally waterproof or water resistent nylon and have flexible padded

reel spaces that fit RF lenses pretty well; they are also compact and often come with a choice

of handgrip or shoulder strap. Usually cost ~$30. Even cheaper, go to Target and look at

diaper bags. Seriously.

JC

I can vouch for the Domke F-3x. I got rid of the standard 4x insert and use two 1 compartment inserts and one 2 compartment insert. I carry an M3 w/motor with 50mm lens, 90mm, 28mm, and an M4-P body, There is room to toss in a 135mm or 35mm lens depensing on needs. I'm very happy with it.

Has anyone else been able to locate the Adorama Domke/Tamron bag that Dennis mentions is on sale? Actually, to be more precise, I found the bag on Adorama's site, but can't find any indication that it is on sale. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

-Randy

Check out the Crumpler "Budgie Smuggler", about $45 USD. Very good bag and doesn't immediatley say "I have a camera". I have one, we've been to the rugged coastlines on both ends of the US and into the blowing sand of the Mojave desert in the west and in and out of planes and taxis and it's bulletproof and secures fairly well. Holds my M6 with a lens attached and 2-3 more, plus a pocket for film and shades.

But if you really want stealth, support and low-cost, get one of those baby bags for diapers and bottles. No one will try to snatch it. This is not actually a good suggestion because what counts is not how good the pictures are that you take, it is how good you look taking them, or at least walking from shot to shot.

Before you buy the f-803 check out the J-803. I had the f, I got caught in a downpour and it soaked through . The J I have now is ballistic nylon and much more water repellent. If you do get the f, treat it with the stuff they sell for waterproofing canvas.