Leica Devotee Using Xpan

35mmdelux

Hi,

Any Leica devotees using xpan RFs as second cameras? I bought a xpan for my WA

work and love it. Its got the 45mm lens which goes to 21mm in pano format as

you know.

I'm using it in conjunction w/ 64 kodachrome and the results are stellar IMHO -

sharp as all get out.

Whats your opinion of the 45mm lens comparing to 50mm crons?

Regards - Paul

My father bought an Xpan, and I've shot with it a good deal. I absolutely love it.

It won't take the place of my M3- it's a different camera. I have used it shooting

weddings, and I find the dual format very helpful. The 45mm lens is superb- it's

sharpness is beyond reproach, and bokeh is very nice too. When shooting

assignment

work, it's great to be able to switch between formats so easily on the same roll- in

normal 24x36 framing, the lenses are using the central sweet spot of what

amounts to a meduim format lens, so you can imagine how good the results are. And

when you switch to the panoramic mode, the coverage is incredible. I love getting

two different formats and effective coverage ranges from one lens. I do find that if I

just go

out to shoot with this camera on my own, I just use it in pano mode- it's really what

this camera

is made for. But on assignment, or as a travel camera, it proves the best of both

worlds. I still use my Leicas for their slightly smaller size and weight, and for the

faster lenses, but the Xpan is a terrific camera. I borrow it when ever I can get it out

of my Dad's hands. It's a shame they discontinued it, but I guess most folks who

wanted one got one and sales dried up.

I don't think the 30mm is worth it. Extreme wide angle is fairly limited in

practical use, once you get past the neat-o factor.<p>As for the comparision

between the 45mm and

a 50 Summicron, it's not a fair one. They are very different beasts, even though in

classic 24x36mm mode they yield similar results. The point I made before about

Xpan lenses being de-facto medium format lenses is, I think, important to consider.

Plus, there's the two stop speed difference. Xpan lenses and Leica lenses are

designed and built for

different purposes. But just in terms of absolute imaging characteristics in 24x36mm

images, they yeild quite comparable results at like apertures. Consider- they are

both

well designed RF lenses giving about the same angle of view on the same size film

format. But the Summicron has the edge in speed and small size, wheras the Xpan

gives you that pano mode and the alternate angle of view. Both excellent systems,

and I find that they are complimentary in practical use, but they are

fundamentally different enough to make direct comparison beside the point.

Eric - Thank you for your interest in my photography. I post occasionally in the threads and when time avails I hope to post some of my work of the past 35 years in folders.

I see you have time for a "custom page" and an extended biography. I don't have the luxury of time as you do.

Aside from privacy issues, descretion, and a two-year old I just don't seek outside approval of my work. Time is the most valuable asset we have and if its between seeking your approval or spending time with my son, I think the answer is obvious.

Again, thanks for your interest - Paul

Semper Fi

Paul, your welcome.

But as for "the "custom page" and an extended biography. I don't have the luxury of time as you do."

this is some sort of auto feature blessed from PN that i've never cared about or tried to remove. Time? I shoot alot of digital, guess where I come when the computer is working?

You seem blessed with enough time to read and post daily?

ha, ha, ha. I love slapstick.

Eric - I run massive complex spreadsheet/analyses that would make your everyday accountant / corporate-type hyper-ventilate. To keep my sanity, I try to read unrelated blogs. Occasionally I thro in my 2-cents or ask questions.

Have a Great Day - Paul<div>00Hahm-31657384.thumb.jpg.c76957762510bde1ec3ebf32ad6aefe9.jpg</div>