Mamiya RB67 Pro S and 127mm C lens

simon_benton

I recently purchased a Mamiya Pro S with back and 127mm C lens. I

purchased this at a very cheap price in as is condition. Price

included a spare body and same thing happens. Everything works

perfectly except that the shutter only fires at one speed (about

1/25) even on time. Am I doing something silly or is this a

mechanical problem I will have to have repaired? I am new to the

Mamiya RB67 and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sounds like it's a lens CLA is needed but you'll have to try firing it off the body to be sure.

Of course you know mounting and dismounting a lens you must cock the body and the lens first. With the lens off the body, press the silver pin at the 12'oclock position on the back of the lens, then rotate the 2 pins at the green dot. To re-cock the lens rotate the pins to the red dots. Go through all the speeds and try this a few times at all speeds.

*if you have any more questions e-mail me at AUTOMAX1@JUNO.COM, Paul, NYC.

The more you say, the less people listen.

Yes, repetative firing sometimes cures the problem but it's only a bandaid on the infection. That may loosen the old lube but it will become an intermittent problem since not firing the lens for a couple days will just gunk it up again. It will become fussy about temperature as well.

There is nothing like washing the entire shutter out to rid all the old lube and replacing it with the newer synthetics. Less outgassing, better temperature range and they don't creep like petroleum oils do over time. While having the shutter open on the bench, it may need to be adjusted since old lens parts do wear and springs do get weak from improper storage. ALl these contribute to the reliability of the lens.

Thanks for all replies. It probably does need a CLA. Is this the kind of task I could do? I am familiar with fixing older large format Ilex, Compur, Alphax and Rapax shutters but have no experience with the more modern shutters. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sure you can do it yourself, sounds like you've got some experiance under your belt. This lens is much easier than the cameras you listed and youy might even have the right stuff to do right in your collection.

You'll need a good #00 crosspoint screwdriver, a 1.5mm flat screwdriver, a pint of white gas, the lubes are bought from MicroTools (I don't remember which ones, you'll need 2 types) and of course the instructions to dismantle the lens, which I can probably help you with. Where are you located?

Otherwise buy me lunch and pay the round trip shipping, I can do it for you in an hour?

Paul, NYC