Yashica Electro 35 to Leica conversions

At least I didn't say "pubic". Count your blessings...

No, I don't want a conversion. Might as well use it with the free body it comes attached to. The GSN actually does have full manual contol of aperture and shutter speed - as long as you only want to shoot at 1/500 (take the battery out) or 1/30 (set mode to flash).

Kelly, how does the rangefinder coupling on the Leica compare with the Contax?

I learned (I think) on the Classic Forum today that non-50mm Contax/Kiev lenses rely on the lens helicoid to match the standard 50mm lens characteristic focusing displacement, like you describe for Leica. No mention of a cam in the Contax lens mounting interface though, only gears. So is Leica a totally different scheme, or was I asleep in class again? Thanks.

I can speculate on the motives for this but can't say for sure. (I do find it hard not to think that at least part of the appeal is the mileage the happy owner gets from the combination of LTM camera and Electro (etc) lens as a conversation piece.) Just how good is this lens? I know much less than most of you. But I have read very high praise for the Nikonos 35mm (said to be like the earlier LTM 35mm Nikkor, but improved) and the Ektar 47mm -- two other lenses that (or whose ingredients that) Mr/Ms Miyazaki will remount for you.

Interesting. I found Hayata Camera's home page, read their product list. The Yashica lens that Miyazaki converted seems to be the 35/1.8 from the 35CC, which Frank Granovski doesn't have yet. Said not to be a bad lens. Hayata's price for a converted lens is 57,750 Yen.

Hugh, good pic, now I see how Leica does it.

With the ability to build that cam slope in any shape, why is the additional gearing needed in the non-50mm lenses?

Couldn't the rangefinder cam follow about any cam slope, ahhh.. but then the focusing force would vary and not be as smooth... would anyone notice...?? Probably.

Bob,

I've seen Mr. Miyazaki's work at Motomachi Camera. He is quite good at what he does. The converted lenses are not cheap.

Why does this man do this? I suspect it is because there are a lot of broken down cameras with very good optics going to waste. The amateur Japanese RF cameras of the 50s and 60s had super good lenses. They were made for amateurs who demanded the best optics. These folks shot slide film and projected slides on to huge screens. No doubt Mr. Miyazaki couldn't stand the waste of great lenses and decide to do something about saving those old samurai. There is nothing unusual about this sort of thing here in Japan.

You can buy tons of broken down cameras for $10 or $20 in a lot of camrera shops in Japan. The maniacs buy them and use them for spare parts.

• 1 year later...

I own three Yashica rangefinders: the Lynx 14 with its huge 45/1.4, a GSN, and the Electro CC. I have no idea what the specs are for these lenses but they all never ceases to impress me with their contrast and sharpness and overall image quality. The 60-70's japanese rangefinders - the Minoltas, Yashicas, Canons, all had very great glass.

In fact, the Konica Auto S3s lens had specs that matched Leica's outright at 62 and 82 lpi based on testing in a 1973 edition of Amateur Photographer magazine (UK).

It doesn't surprise me that Mr. Miyazak adapts the CC's lens for LTM cameras. As stated on the cameraquest.org site regarding the Electro CC:

"They really don't make cameras like this any more. To put the Electro 35 CC/CCN in perspective, if you want to buy a NEW 35 Rangefinder with built in meter and faster than 35/2 lens, your ONLY choice today is the $2000 plus Leica M6 body and the $2500 plus 35/1.4 Aspherical Summilux. Hmm. $4500 for the Leica, or about $150 for the 35 CC. Hmm. the Leica or the Yashica and a month in Barbados ----- tough choice."

Then there's the 35/1.7 Aspherical Ultron, a reportedly nice optic, which goes $375.