Going to Guatemala 7/19 - here's what I'm taking

lahuasteca

I've posted before on this subject, but the date is next week. I'm still having trouble deciding what to

bring. The situation, if I'm to believe news reports, is unsettled - random, opportunistic crime, being in

the wrong place at the wrong time, theft and rip-offs. Most tourists are unaffected. I just don't want to

stand out. In the past I have hauled tons of stuff to the most remore locations to do ethnographic

photography. This time things are different. The Sony 828 definitely goes - a big point & shoot, but it's a

sacrificial lamb if I run into trouble.

I'd like to also take a manual focus Nikon and three primes - 24, 35, & 85, but that increases the bulk and

means a bigger camera bag. My newer digital equipment stays at home, can't afford to risk it.

So, I guess I'm asking, take the manual focus Nikon or leave it at home? I'm leaning towards the former,

despite the increase in bulk. There's a big fiesta with processions in Antigua on July 25 and I want some

good images of it.

Tourist towns are pretty safe. Your money. They're not going to let money go away. Guatemala city on the other hand....

Just like any country, be aware of your surroundings and where your at. There are good parts and bad parts too.

Guatemala is a wonderfull country full of people with great character.

Assuming your MF Nikon is either the FM2 or FE2 you list on your p.n profile page, I'd say go for it. While not exactly 'commodity items', they are replacable for not too dear a price.

I personally would 'think about' whether or not to place 'user' F2AS bodies in a situation where they may be stolen, and I keep an FG around for that sort of task (or to loan). Your favorite bodies 'split the difference' between mine in terms of cost and replacability.

If you are careful and take the normal precautions you will be fine. Guatemala City is dodgy but everywhere else you will be fine unless you happen to be the one guy who is unlucky. You can never tell, but equally, you should not worry too much about it.

In Antigua, some people say that certain parts of town are prone to opportunistic robberies (the cemetary up the hill, for example, or the ruins of the convent). But if you go with two or three other people, you reduce the chances of anything bad taking place.

One SLR and three lenses fits into a pretty small bag. What you could do is buy a cheap locally-made shoulder bag and put your actual camera bag inside that. Then it is less obvious.

Finally, how about travel insurance? Then if stuff does get stolen, you have some relief.

Have fun!

It looks like you have plenty of experience traveling around in Guatemala. "The situation, if I'm to believe news reports, is unsettled - random, opportunistic crime, being in the wrong place at the wrong time, theft and rip-offs. Most tourists are unaffected. I just don't want to stand out". This has been the situation in Guatemala for many years, and it is not going to change any time soon. You just have to be aware of your surroundings at all times. Antigua it is pretty safe so I would not worry about your gear. You might regret not taking the MF once you arrive.

I am jealous because I go to Guatemala every year July/August, but my wife is expecting our first child arround the 1st week of August.

This year we will have to pass.

Enjoy your time in Guate and take a lot of pictures. I will be looking forward to seeing them.<div>00HH7i-31145384.jpg.505e7e8a1c73269d25ab9725a090d83f.jpg</div>

Good picture of Atitlan, will be there Friday of next week. July and August are the best

months (for me at any rate) because the rainy season cleans all the haze from the sky and

one gets those big puffy white clouds. Definitely the MF (it is the FE2) gear is going with me.

Looks like I drag out some beat-up backpack and the shoulder bag as suggested. Thanks

everyone for the moral support and helping me get my act together for the trip.

I live in Colombia, S.A.....I travel mostly wherever I choose with a couple of cameras and accessories including several long lenses. I keep each camera and accessory pack in Lowepro bags to protect them. Both of the Lowepro's then are kept in a beat-up old backpack that draws NO attention. Perhaps a tad inconvenient but safe.

I've found that paranoia about theft is usually a mistake. Watch your gear closely in all big cities, including those in your own country. My experience has been that people in so-called "poor countries" are usually more honest than those in my own country (Canada).

I've visited every Central American country, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Mexico, Thailand, U.K., U.S. and Iran, often spending months there and always packing expensive camera gear. I've lost one camera to thieves, and that was in a large city and due to my own lack of attention.

Now, in Canada, I've had my entire outfit stolen ($22K) right out of my house by people I know. And I lived right beside the police station, with police officers living in houses on two sides of me. And, the person has never been charged.

I think we are too quick to believe that "other" countries are unsafe compared to our own.

I like the idea of the simple manual focus film kit. I always carry a tiny digital point and shoot too. They help to break the ice with people because they can see their pics.

Guatemala is a wonderful country and the people are beautiful. I have many fond memories of the place. Enjoy!

Antigua is a safe places as compared to many other countries. Why are you taking primes and not a quality zoom? If you are shooting manual focus, there are many very sharp manual zooms that you can get at low low prices, the zoom will make you more versatile, you don't want to lose the composition of a shot running back and forth especially when shooting people (with a camera that is). If the gear does end up costing more than you want to risk, get some reputable insurance.

"Why are you taking primes and not a quality zoom"?

Good question - I guess it's because the one MF zoom I have is irreplaceable at any price - a

75-150E in pristine condition. There is absolutely no way I could ever find another one.

There is a village on the flanks of the Agua Volcano, Santa Maria de Jesus. I've been there

before in times past, very rustic and very picturesque, with spectacular views of the Antigua

Valley below. If I can get a local, from the village, to be a guide, I want to go up there for

some non-intrusive images.