Suggestion of Traveling to Amstedam, the Netherlands

john_chee

I will be traveling to Amsterdam, the Netherlands, in June. Just wonder if you can offer me

any advise on:

1) Good spots around Amsterdam for landscape shooting;

2) Shops that carry 4x5 4x5 films/Readyload/Quickload/Polaroid; and

3) Photo labs that will develop 4x5 films B&W

Thanks!

John

Foto Nivo in Amsterdam, on Haarlemerdijk (not far from the station). The guys are pretty helpful and the shop is open Mon-Sat. They send film out for developing.

Another option is Kleurgamma on Mauritskade 55 (not far from OLVG Hospital) which is open Mon-Fri till 20:00. They do quick turn-around. They also have another place on Elandsgracht which is open on Saturday's too. They develop in-house and probably have a better LF film selection.

For landscape, you need to get out of Amsterdam a bit. The best bet is to rent a bike with some saddle bags as the cycle ways are very extensive. There are some very nice villages within an easy 30 minutes ride from the centre. You can also visit the new islands that have recently been built (IJburg).

Paul

• 1 month later...
Ok, I am here at Amsterdam this week with all the World Cup football fans. World Press Photo 06 at the Old Church (Oude Kerk), Foam, Rembrandt Museum and van Gogh Museum are must go too. Paul's pro shop suggestions are also great. The only thing is they don't carry Quickload or Readyload type of films on either store when I went. I wound up purchasing a few new holders here. For B&W shooters, both store only carry 50 sheet packs ... I shot Fujicolor Pro 160 S (in 10 sheet pack) instead as I don't plan to shoot that much in a week and I have to use local lab to process anyway. Visited a few spots outside of Amsterdam, highly recommended Durgerdam. Marken is very nice too. Anyway, thanks Paul!