we think so! :-) I have done a two year photography course of 8 hours/week

classroom time, shooting at least 2 rolls of film per week, all B&W with

darkroom use for the first year, and colour/digital/other random techniques

the second year.

Now, we're going to shoot as the official photographers for the first time in

3 weeks. This is what we're planning on doing, and any tips and warnings if

some of these ideas are stupid are much appreciated: (I've read many many

warnings on other posts about this being a high pressure event, making sure

the B&G know you're not a professional etc., and i do take them seriously!)

We will both be shooting at the same time, and will both cover the essential

shots, so we have a back-up in case one of us messes up. We are both using

Nikon D50s, one with a 18-200 lens, the other with a choice of 28-80, or 70-

300. We will take two film SLRs for backup. We are going to go into the church

before the wedding with the bride to get an idea of what will happen where,

and when. We will then practice in the church with two friends as stand-ins

(wearing white and black) to make sure we know how to work the light in the

church. We have a shot list of what the B&G want, and a timeline of the day.

Specific questions:

Flash: we have one Sunpak Autozoom 3000 (from my old SLR), but are thinking we

probably need to buy another (newer) flash. Could you recommend something,

bearing in mind we're on a budget? Do you think it's reasonable (for the

ceremony) for one person to use flash and the other a high ISO or a long

exposure time?

Light: what's the best way of dealing with the black/white contrast of the

bride and groom?

Position: does it make sense to have the 18-200 lens near the front, and the

75-300 shooting from the back? Should we both use tripods, or just one of us,

or neither?

Laptop: do you think it's worth taking a laptop so we can check the pictures

during the day?

No flash: what if the church doesn't allow flash during the ceremony? What's

the best way of dealing with this? The one suggestion i've read about so far

is using a high ISO and shooting B&W.

Formals: we were planning on one of us shooting the formals, while the other

takes candids. Given that we're newbies, do you think it would be safer to

both shoot the formals so we have double cover?

Thanks in advance!!!

I'll put some of our previous work in our portfolio, and would appreciate

comments and critique!

Sarah

<i><b>Flash: we have one Sunpak Autozoom 3000 (from my old SLR), but are thinking we probably need to buy another (newer) flash. Could you recommend something, bearing in mind we're on a budget? Do you think it's reasonable (for the ceremony) for one person to use flash and the other a high ISO or a long exposure time?</b></i><br>

There will probably be no flash allowed during the ceremony. Even if there is no restriction, I personally prefer to keep the usage limited. It is, after all, a ceremony.<br>

But to answer your question of "buy another flash" and "budget," well, you are painting yourself into a corner with your price structure. I will have only three speedlights for this weekend's weddings, and I feel kind of naked without my fourth.<p>

<i><b>Light: what's the best way of dealing with the black/white contrast of the bride and groom?</b></i><br>

(looking in Nadine's general direction for this answer) :)<br>

I personally meter to the white dress, but it's never really the same from week to week. Too many variations.<p>

<i><b>Position: does it make sense to have the 18-200 lens near the front, and the 75-300 shooting from the back? Should we both use tripods, or just one of us, or neither? </i></b><br>

Yes to the first question. As for tripod, I use the tripod in the balcony during the ceremony, and my wife is on the main floor "moving about." And when I say moving about, I mean it is strictly kept to a MINIMUM!<p>

<i><b>Laptop: do you think it's worth taking a laptop so we can check the pictures during the day? </i></b><br>

No! You'll have enough to do without transferring cards and such. When would you plan on doing this? During the father/daughter dance? :)<p>

<i><b>No flash: what if the church doesn't allow flash during the ceremony? What's the best way of dealing with this? The one suggestion i've read about so far is using a high ISO and shooting B&W.</i></b><br>

High ISO, yes. B&W, up to you. Well, I hope you will shoot all in color and convert later to B&W as you see fit. Not the best idea to shoot B&W in camera. I do not know the cameras you are using, so I do not know what the noise is like at higher ISO. With the 5d I have no problem going to 800 ISO.<p>

<i><b>Formals: we were planning on one of us shooting the formals, while the other takes candids. Given that we're newbies, do you think it would be safer to both shoot the formals so we have double cover? </i></b><br>

I'd personally recommend having just one camera out for formals. Take at least three shots of each pose. If you witness a blink, take another. If you witness eyes on somebody else's camera, take another. If you see somebody looking at the kids, take another. Now you're up to six. You cannot be 100% aware of every set of eyes in a larger group. Better to be safe. And this is not a "because of digital" answer. Same if it is film.<p>

<i><b>Should I shoot raw?</b></i><br>

Yes<p>

(okay, I took the liberty of adding that last question.) :)

I think you have a good plan, going to the church and practicing.

Flash: It would be a good idea to get a second flash and test it.

Most churches don't allow flash during the ceremony, so you need to be comfortable

shooting in low light without flash. Tripods are good idea, at least to have with you if

needed. It will probably be needed.

Light: get the brightest image you can without wiping out the highlights. Detail in

highlight areas is more important than shadows. Shooting digital is a little more strct than

BW film.

Position: Your lens arrangement makes sense. It may be too crowded to have a tripod at

the front but it is good to have it if you can.

Laptop: Generally, there isn't time for looking at stuff on it until it is too late. Maybe keep

it hidden in the car for if you want it. They can be usefull if you run out of memory cards

too. I suggest figuring out how many pictures you expect to take and then buy enough

memory cards to do that twice.

NO flash: This is important, if you can't deal with this problem you are in over your heads.

practice shooting in your house after dark with just the light from your lamps.

Formals: Work together, one person take the lead the other maybe help pose the groups

and watch for mistakes, double shooting may be a good idea.

You have a good plan, your customers know you are new to this, stay calm, work your

plan. After the wedding at the reception there is more opertunity for being creative.

The only problem with doubleshooting formals is getting the entire group to look at the second camera, then back and forth, back and forth. Even if you're standing right next to each other, you will be able to tell when the second person shoots and people aren't looking at the camera. Two people shooting the formals will also lengthen the time it takes to do them, risking people getting bored with it.

I'd recommend, as the other poster said, one person shoots the formals. Take three shots, make sure you check histograms real fast every now and again to ensure exposure and you'll be fine.

Only shoot RAW if you're familiar with it. If you're not familiar with it, start practicing on each other/the family pets/etc now. If you're used to shooting JPG, and you aren't comfortable/able to handle RAW workflow by the wedding, stick with what you know. Yes, you'll be able to save bad shots a little better with RAW, but if you're not used to it, you may be setting yourself up for a longer post processing. :) This isn't saying I recommend shooting JPG over RAW, I just recommend minimizing the disruption to your accustomed workflow right before a wedding. Be aware if you're shooting RAW it is very easy to fill up your cards unless you have a bunch of them. If shooting RAW, and you tend to shoot a lot, try to make sure you have at least 8gb of cards for EACH camera.

Leave the laptop at home, or in the trunk of the car. While you won't have time to use it to check images, it may come in handy if you're filling up your cards to dump a few really quick to the hard drive. If you take it, leave it in your trunk and try to make sure people don't see you have it for theft prevention.

Flash - Try to get an SB-800 if you can afford it. Make sure you get it far enough ahead of time that you can learn to use it like it's second nature before trying to haul it into a wedding.

Lighting - I flip on the highlight blinker on the camera and leave it on. If I see a bunch of blinking on the wedding dress, I know I've just overexposed. ;)

Your position assumption looks good. Person in back should use a tripod, person in front probably shouldn't unless you absolutely need it to prevent shake.

Good luck. :)

Keep it simple, have back-up, test gear plenty before shooting - particularly the flash set-up for proper exposures.

Being on a budget doesn't mean you can't bring excellent equipment to the table - just maybe not digi. Two Nikon FM cameras, Two SB flash units, three lenses - ALL for less than $1,000. Have it scannned - Problem solved.

Jon (and everyone) has very good answers for you. Here's my added info.

Flash--SB600, or used Vivitar 285 or Sunpak 383, for cheap auto thyristor flashes. If flash is allowed during the ceremony, you can have one person with flash and the other on a tripod with no flash.

Light--how are you exposing and metering now? What camera modes?

Position--yes. Both should use tripods because your lenses aren't all that fast, and if you use the telephoto end, you will be in trouble.

Laptop--no. Just as Jon said.

No Flash--use tripods. If your cameras aren't good at high ISO, keep it at ISO 400 and shoot during the "quiet" moments. B&W--up to you, although I would concentrate on digital color and convert later if desired.

Formals--shoot redundantly to suit your comfort level. If you are confident you are "getting it" on one camera, have the other do candids. Both shooting formals would be tough on the subjects--where to look, etc., as others have pointed out, so if you do so, you have to be extra careful to direct the subjects' attention to the appropriate camera. If you have guests also shooting around you, you will have an even tougher time.

I can't answer your questions, but with 2 shooters, I remember something Mark pointed out. Make sure your D50 times are set the same. That way, when you download the pictures from both cameras, you can sort by date and rename all the images (using bridge) and have all the pictures in order.

Hope this helps.

Why not assist and second shoot for another photographer for six months and put the money into new better gear? The learning curve is less, and mistakes are not as severe. It really is a much quicker means to your end goal without ruining somebodies special day or just being flat mediocre...

I started with fast primes and have moved into a 17-55 zoom for 80% of my images.

In my limited experience (10 or so weddings) the glass you mentioned is not suitable for churches. Much too slow for the light you will be working in, realizing you will be banned from using flash in mnost cases....

The answer to most of your questions is faster glass, better flash, and working with a pro.

Had a chance to read your post and mine and felt I wasn't helpful.

This is the way two pros I work for shoot and they are jammed up with weddings and very successful. For the wedding in three weeks, I would suggest shooting everything in RAW, and in shutter priority mode. 1/120 for outside and 1/60 indoors and compensating with your flash. Spend some money and get a minimum of a sb600. It works for them and they don't have until recently the fastest zooms either.

Then look for a pro to work with. The experience gained has invaluable!