Sigma 120-300mm and canon x1.4 extender.

henryk_barnas

do u mean the f2.8 monster? personally i would never recommend sigma optics to anyone - too much compatiblity issues and low resale value. the canon 1.4 tele converter is optimise for canon lenses and for best results u should stick with sigma's 1.4 apo tele converter. here in singapore, the sigma tele convertor is cheaper, don't know if that's the case for you. would seriously recommend canon's 300 f4 or 2.8 if you have cash to spare. picture quality should always be one of your top agenda, compatiblity with newer digi. camera is next...

Don't take to much notice of Kelvins put down of the fine 120-300 2.8 EX HSM Sigma, after all that is only one mans opinion and there are many positive reviews of this excellent lens on the internet should you care to do a google search.

That said, however I do agree with him that it would be better to use the Sigma Apo 1.4 Teleconvetor with the 120- 300 as they are optimised to work together.

I have a 70-200 EX HSM Sigma and the 1,4 APO convertor that I use on a D60 and 10D and they have proven very reliable.

There have been no compatability issues with any Sigma lense's manufactuered after 2000 with any Canon DSLR including the latest releases

The 120-300 got rave reviews and AFAIK there have been no compatibility issues with HSM lenses. It might not work with a Canon extender though, the Canon 1.4x does not fit my Sigma 180/3.5 macro because the protruding element of thet 1.4x is just a bit too wide.

I've got both the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 and the Canon 1.4 mk11 extender.

There are no compatability problems.

The Sigma is an absolutely superb lens (in one competition, the judge remarked on how sharp the image was) , although big and heavy. You will find a monopod very handy when using this lens.

Simon

In black and white every one's a hero

--- too much compatiblity issues and low resale value ? ---

(i dont know if you checked, but Canon is Not high up on the service end, if you have a

80-200 2.8 L, you already know, if it breaks, your screwed, canon does not service some of

their old lenses). As for the 120-300 Henryk, im jealous. (nice choice), enjoy.