African Safari - what lens to buy next?

jim_reisert

Hi Folks,

My wife and I will be on safari this September to Namibia and

Botswana. This is NOT a photo safari per-se, so probably a lot of

shooting from the truck.

I will be using a Canon EOS-20D and I have a Sigma 80-400mm OS

telephoto. I also have a Canon 17-85mm US ISM lens. My wife and I

primarly shoot wildlife (not scenery) and I shoot more birds than her.

I will be getting a Canon or Sigma 1.4x teleconverter.

My question is, what other lens should I (we) take with me (us)?

Carol will have a Canon 300mm f/4 (not IS), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 (I'm

not sure about this one) and a Canon EF 100-400 4.5-5.6L IS USM.

Is this enough glass? Should we leave the 300mm f/4 at home and bring

something else? I assume that we'll both be using the longest lenses

we have a lot of the time. I'm tempted to get something in the

500-600 mm range, but I can't justify spending $4000+ that fast(er)

lenses in this focal range cost.

What's availble in the $1000-$2000 range that would add to this portfolio?

Thanks - Jim

Leave the 100-400 f5.6 at home -- both of them -- go with the Canon 300 f4 EF-L non IS and a 1.4X teleconverter instead. Neither of the XX-400 zooms you mention are suitable for critical work at 400mm. A Sigma 500mm f4.5 APO HSM is a good choice though. Use beanbags to stabilize the lens on the vehicle.

Been over there 3 times with a 500mm f4.5 EF-L Canon and a 70-200 f2.8 EF-L and a 28-105 USM II (all 35mm full format) with converters (1.4 and 2x).

I have also heard nice things about the 120-300mm f2.8 Sigma -- but you want a longer lens... 400mm f5.6 Canon EF-L is good but no AF with converter on 20D.

Remember a 300 f4 on a 20D = 480mm f4 equivalent on 35mm.

Sample Pix of predators:

http://www.fiu.edu/~larkinsg/nature_gallery_29.htm

Enjoy,

Grover Larkins

I'll have to disagree with Grover's assertion.

A zoom is very nice to have for different framing choices (and sometimes, the subjects can be very close - I have a frame filling portait of a lioness taken with a Canon G6). My typical shooting rig for Africa is a 500/4 + TC mounted on one body, and the 100-400 mounted on another.

Generally, you do want as long a lens as is possible. Maybe sell the Sigma 80-400 and get a Bigma (50-500) or the Tamron 200-500? 500mm on a digital crop body gets you close for a lot of situations.

For your budget, an ideal combo would be:

70-200 on one body

200-500 on a second body

And your wife can keep the 100-400 on hers, and possibly a 17-85 on another body for wildscapes.

We are planning Namibia this fall ourselves. You can check my portfolio for some images taken from a trip to Africa last year, and also my website for more images (www.photosafariindia.com/articles.html)

Vandit<div>00GGNJ-29738184.jpg.4e5f37a99bbcc5bca3dcebec2d660895.jpg</div>

If you are in a vehicle with other customers, they will be a little upset if you are constantly changing lens', I went on a safari in 5 contries with and with out people, most of the time my 70-200 F2.8L w TC 2x worked great and that was with an SLR not DSLR, it sounds like you have sufficient equipment, take to much and thats all you will be doing, you said its not a photo safari per se, so try to enjoy the trip, invest in protection for your current gear ie water, dust, insurance and have a fantastic trip. The Okavango delta is fantastic place, Dead vlei is also a fantastic place

"Carol will have a Canon 300mm f/4 (not IS)"

Us Nikon users do not have the luxury of a stabilized 300mm f/4. But, if I did have access to one, it (and a 1.4x TC) would be high on my list as a mainstream lens. Sharp, light and stabilized.

The 500mm f/4 is obviously a very desireable lens, but a significantly bigger logistical challenge.

Jim, as somebody suggested: take the 100-400 (I did and wasn't sorry); consider renting a 500f4IS. A lens is never long enough certainly since you want to shoot birds.

I have used my 500f4 with a 1.4x and 2x convertor stacked and that was on a leopard.

And a used 500f4 non IS probably is less than 4000$ - it's an excellent lens.

Lucky you. Enjoy.

You have enough glass. With weight restrictions for carry ons you'll alredy be pushing limits. Get the 1.4x TC for your 300/4 and use that combo for your critical work. The zooms are really handy, but I don't know that you'll need both the Sigma 80-400 and Canon 100-400. Do take the 70-200 for it's low light capability. You can use it with the TC in a pinch too.

Take a beanbag for the 300 and the 70-200.

-Jon Hill

safarishots.com<div>00GIZh-29785784.jpg.51177c797ccea07b77ba1acef83deedb.jpg</div>

• 9 months later...
I know I'm reviving and old thread here so I don't know if any of you are still out there, but I'm going on a safari next year and I am a Nikon D80 owner. Any suggestions on lenses? I was all ready to buy the 80-400 VR, but after reading some of your answers above, I'm wondering of a 300 with a TC would be a better way to go?