Advice about digital camera

Hi, I have right now a coolpix 4300 and I would like to make a jump

into a more versatile digital camera like the sony dsc-v3 or canon-G6.

What I want is more color definition, more control of focus and a lot

of less shuter lag.

Some ideas of what camera should i pick, I am almost convinced of the

Canon G6, is this a good choice? I do not have the money to buy a

DSRL so i have to go for a "prosumer" camera, maybe the Sony DSC-717?

Only dslr can have shallow dof if that what you mean by "control

of focus." Save up and buy a basic dslr, they are not much more

than a canon g6. Dslr have short lags as well. Pentax ds,

canon drebel, olympus evolt and nikon d70(s) are the cheapest

currently. Second hand older dslrs are even cheaper.

Gustavo, if you basically like the Nikon you've borrowed but want something lighter in weight, the D50 will be available soon. It will be smaller and lighter but compatible with the same Nikkor lens mount.

Nikon is also introducing some newer, smaller "digital-only" lenses. However I notice that Sigma is offering some pretty attractive digital-only lenses that are small, light and even more affordable.

As you live inside EU you can look for a Sigma SD10, some german dealers offer them for Euro 499.- including lens. The lens isnt that good, but maybe enough for startup. A dude of me bought it some days ago and its a great camera,, especially it has wider tonal range and much more detail than all other digital cameras. This is because it has no Bayer filter, which makes cameras very soft, Bayer filter needs 8 pixel to capture 1 white and 1 black pixel, so you loose a lot of detail. SD10 is the only camera without Bayer filter, it has Foveone chip technology, where for every color a dedicated layer is used.

A Pentax *ist DS is small yet well built and relatively inexpensive. I believe they can be found for not much more than the price of the better prosumer all-in-one cameras with a decent kit lens to get you started.

Canon G6 is one of the best value in the market,if you like that kind of camera. It has the fastest zoom lens I know of in its class and that helps because the small sensors starts to be noisy at ISO 200. G6 has a quite short shutter lag. What I dont like with G6 is that the short end is 35mm (in film terms). I would like it to go wider, but others may not mind so much. However, a DSLR gives you more control and far better performance at high ISO.