the blinker from hell

merlin

Wow, so many great tips on this problem. I guess I must be too tired, as somewhere along the line, I thought of a sure fire remedy, and then realized that mine is for the hiccups. And that would be for some other thread, on some other site. Now I'm blinking. I'll have to go to the top and start all over again.

Or perhaps go to bed.....

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a photographer and am actually a blinking bride. I am a month out from my wedding day and I am already freaking out about this. Most girls worry about their dress fitting right, or their arms looking toned, or their divorced parents getting along, but I am worried about blinking. Part of my problem is undoubtedly the fact that I have incredibly poor eyesight and wear very thick contact lenses which tend to dry out my eyes (shutting your eyelids is a way to rewet your eyes), but the other part is definitely in my head. Most of my life, I have had school picture photographers, prom photographers, wedding photographers, DMV picture takers (can you even call them photographers?), eye doctors, etc. get very annoyed with me because I blink.

I found your thread when I did a Google search to look for a solution, and after reading your responses (all of which I've seen in action, many of which have been at least moderately successful), I felt prompted to let you know that patience is key with blinkers. Reassure them that it is ok, that you'll try to get the shot (even if you're practically positive you won't), and if you don't, you will have done your best and made the picture taking process as painless as possible. DO NOT YELL "DON'T BLINK". It is rude and ineffective and you will piss people off...and make life worse for the next photog who comes along because the blinker's complex is that much worse. 75% of my problem is wrapped up into an eye doctor from my childhood who made me cry (I was FIVE) and a senior portrait photog that was a big bitch.

And it's not your fault if they blink...I know I have a problem and would not expect my photographer to discount my pics because of it!