Need advices on camera bags

chiu_shin_jo2

Hi ,I'm planning to buy camera bags and would like to ask if anyone

could give me some advices. For outdoor photography, I will normally

bring 1 F5,1 F4E, AFS 28-70, AFS 80-200, 105 macro lens,flash. 1

Leica M6 with 24mm or 21mm lens and films and filter. I've look at

the Lowepro 600 and Billingham 445/555. Thanks very much for your

advices. Joe

To start, you need to be more realistic about how much equipment you will carry into the field. I doubt you need three bodies, except in reserve. As a Leica M owner, I don't regard that camera as one I would carry along with a single lens reflex or two.

Secondly, the style of bag is significant. A shoulder bag is not very comfortable for long periods of time, and not very safe when hiking. I would think a backpack of some sort would be in order. The 80-200/2.8 AFS alone is over 3 pounds, and the F5 is not far behind. Keeping this weight centered and distributed is essential to comfort and safety. It is true you must set a backpack down to get things in and out of it. That's true of shoulder bags too, especially heavy ones.

Finally, how much protection do you need? Out in nature, you will need protection from rain, unavoidable collisions and occasional falls.

You will find there is no "perfect" bag for all occasions, and most of us have a closet full by now. As a practical matter, I carry two pro bodies and 3 to 5 lenses, flash and stuff in a small backpack (LowePro Computrekker), with a LowePro Pro Roller I or II for the backup gear. I can carry an F5 (or D2) with an 80-200AFS, 17-35/2.8 and 105/2.8 Micro (or 28-70/2.8 in one shoulder bag - a LowePro Pro AW II. I just don't like to carry it for long.

All good advice. Breaking up your equipment into kits, with a "dedicated" bag for each one, sounds like a good idea. One of my friends does the same with her gym/work/cycling/camping gear. She purchases used backpacks at garage sales for her sundry "kits" and each bag is ready to go when she needs it. The backpack idea for carrying everything seems sensible, too, for those times when you want to carry the whole lot (ugh!). Good luck.

As already stated, no single bag is likely to meet your needs. For traveling, I have a Tamrac backpack (Expedition 8) that fits two camera bodies, a bunch of lenses, one or two flashes, portable backup, accessories and my laptop. When full, the thing weighs a ton but it does fit in the overhead bin on a plane. I would never hike with all this weight. For long hikes I have a smaller Tamrac Backpack that holds one body (two if I really stuff it) and a reasonable number of lenses. For around town shooting, I have a shoulder bag that also has a waist belt. I like this feature because I can use the waste belt, dig around in the bag, without having to put the bag down. This is also handy at the beach. Depending on the situation, I also use a photo vest. It's convenient but can get very uncomfortable if overweighted. For canoeing/boating I have a few different options including dry bags and Pelican Cases. Every once in a while, I'll just carry one body with one lens attached, slung around my neck and leave the rest at home.

Domke bags truly are the professional's choice and there is good reason. All

the space is used efficiently, and when the bag is empty you can smash it

down flat. I don't like bags that when they are empty they take up as much

space as when they are full. Of course this is a 'professionals' bag, and

professionals don't worry about a scratch or a bump here or there.

I still have the same two Domke's I bought, one thirty years, and one twenty

five years ago. I have actually worn holes in the back pouch on both from

rubbing against my sides, the straps are frayed and the big one is now

primarily used for storage, because it's just too heavy when full.

The smaller one, which I used daily for at least eight years still works great but

doesn't look so great. I still use it for every event I go to, but now I actually

carry it inside a waterproof messenger bag for both it's weather protection,

and since I'm travelling to jobs in NYC, it's camoflage.

The only other bag I would consider is a copy of a bag a newspaper buddy

had. It was custom made of thick pliable leather, modeled after the Leica

canvas bag with the primary difference being that the straps where place on

the side instead of the back, making the bag much less likely to want to lean

open and drop stuff out. This bag was a real blend between the small Domke

and Leica bag. After 15 years of use it was still going strong and looking

better every day.

Unfortunately, a venture like this is rather cost prohibitive these days.

3 SLRs, 1 rangefinder, 5 lenses, and what-not, I believer you should be looking at something at least like a Domke F2 (if not F1X) or the larger Photo AW Trekkers backpacks. Since you mentioned Lowepro 600, perhaps that would be something that you've already decided on? If circumstances permit, it may not be a bad idea to haul all those gears with you to your lodging and then use a small bag to carry those gears that you actually feel comfortable carrying towards the shooting location. I am talking from experience but nowadays, I believe in carrying light and making the best out of what I have on hand.

A no-thrills Domke J2 was the last camera bag that I bought probably 9-10 years ago. Just curious, are there other better alternatives out there? Meaning, do the newer designs like <i>Lowepro, Crumpler, Kata, Kinesis, Think Tank</i>, etc. offer better functions like perhaps better protection, storage solutions to the Domke? I am trying to pick up a smallish shoulder bag and couldn't belive the number of offerings out there nowadays! "Smallish" implies something like a F3X as I already find the F4AF a bit too big.

I'm also looking for a day carry bag for just a handful of gear. I've been using a Nikon brand bag (dunno who actually made it) for about three years but it's finally worn out in critical places. The design is perfect but the construction quality ... not so good.

The problem with 90% of the bags on the market is they use too much Velcro. I don't mind Velcro for the adjustable dividers to create compartments for camera bodies, lenses, flash, etc. But Velcro is an abomination as a routine closure for pouches and lids. Dividers seldom need to be adjusted and almost never need to be adjusted in the field or during a project. But is there anything worse than that "rrRRRIIIPPP!" sound during a wedding or other event when subtlety is needed?

That rules out most of the otherwise promising bags: Domkes, Tamracs, Tenbas. Every one of 'em I've tried during the past five years uses a significant amount of Velcro somewhere on an important closure such as a top lid or compartment that must be accessed frequently.

Of the common makers of ballistic nylon bags, most of which lack any distinction, only Lowepro seems to recognize that Velcro isn't absolutely necessary. Some of their better bags use no Velcro closures, such as the Off-Trail and "Stealth" series. In fact I was on the verge of replacing my aging Nikon bag with a Lowepro Stealth but couldn't find a model that was quite right. The Lowepro that appeared to be the same size as my Nikon bag couldn't hold as much because it wasn't designed as efficiently. The Stealth that could accomodate the gear I routinely carry was too bulky for the same reason, and it used a sort of terrycloth material as a liner that made it difficult to insert and remove rubber-clad bodies. The Stealth uses gear pockets the size of envelopes - my hands aren't that big but I can barely squeeze 'em inside the pockets to retrieve a battery or media card.

My "old" Nikon bag had none of these problems. It used quiet zippers on pouches and nylon buckles for the main lid, which could be flapped over without snapping it shut for quick protection. Really a good design, just not well made. But what the heck, I may just buy another one if the price is right and use it for another two or three years.

The alternative is to buy a Billingham or custom bag from a manufacturer that can accomodate my preferences for liner material and no Velcro other than for dividers.

It's frustrating that my best bag is a who-know-how-old Asian knockoff, fake "canvas" colored ballistic nylon, that uses slick zippers for the compartments and the kind of liner material I like, along with sensibly designed compartments for bodies, lenses, etc. Cost five bucks at a camera show several years ago. It'd be my daily bag except it's so large, so I use it only when I need two of everything such as at weddings and other events.

While I know most guys aren't going to go for this, I purchased an oversized handbag last week to function as both a purse and a camera bag. It has several inside zipper compartments, one large enough for my wallet and keys. I'm able to comfortably fit my D2X, three lenses (12-24, 50, 105) and a flash (along with storage media and extra batteries). I don't know how long it will hold up but it was only $20 on clearance and is very stylish (brown leather with a studed shoulder strap). Now I can take my camera with me everywhere without looking like I'm taking my camera everywhere.

For you men secure enough in your masculinity.......

Thanks, Richard. That's closer to what I'm looking for. The smaller bag (on closeout) resembles the Nikon bag I've been using.

Unfortunately it also has one of the same minor flaws: The handle (not shoulder strap) is attached directly to the top lid. If picked up when the top lid isn't at least partially fastened some or all of the contents could be dumped out. Handles that attached to the sides are bulkier and less convenient but more secure.

I may call and ask them some questions. Again, thanks for the references.

Lex, I am not sure about the exact amount of camera gear that you need to carry in the bag. However, have you considered the Lowepro Slingshot 200 bag? Though it is like a back-pack with one strap, getting access to your equipment is easy by just swinging the bag around to your front. I got this bag recently and am very impressed with the little details that went into designing this bag. It is very well-made, comfortable to carry, has reversed zippers with low noise and no velcro as lid fasteners.

Subhasis

My solution, after having 4 bags sitting in the closet and not enough room to carry a Metz, 2 C645 bodies, Contax lenses in 120, 140, 35, 210, 80, 4 backs and color and b+w filters, was to get a stronger wife. I pitch in and carry the G2.

If you are hiking in the woods, I would definily carry along the F4, if you run into a grizzly, you'll need it to bludgeon the poor beast.

Seriously, I use a Lowepro Trekker and don't particulary like the way it's compartmentalized and am still looking for the holy grail of bags.

I wasn't very specific about size. I'm looking for a bag to carry a body the size of a D2H or F3HP with MD-4 or FM2N with MD-12 with a midrange zoom mounted, something like the 35-70/2.8 or 24-120 VR. I'll compromise enough to reverse the hood when the rig is in the bag.

Room for one more lens, preferably up to the size of something like a 300/4.5 AI or 80-200/2.8 zoom. On some occasions I might stack a couple of shorter primes.

And room for a flash. I usually prefer to keep the SB-800 in the original bag because it's easier to organize all the little accessories and I use 'em often.

One or more roomy unpadded pouches for ... stuff. Batteries, media cards or film, pen, notebook, maybe a filter or two, etc.

There are many, many bags that technically meet these requirements, at least in terms of storage capacity. Almost none that meet my admittedly picky biases against Velcro and in favor of liner material that doesn't grip the equipment, such as terrycloth or rubberized stuff. I like to be able to pull stuff from the bag quickly and return it quickly with one hand, no struggling with two hands to wiggle something back into its compartment.

I suppose this is exactly why the folks who started Domke, Lowepro got started - they couldn't find anything that was quite what they needed.

"While I know most guys aren't going to go for this, I purchased an oversized handbag last week to function as both a purse and a camera bag."

An opportunity to match your bag to your shoes!

I, myself, have a nice collection of bags - Domke, Tamrac, Lowepro, Billingham. Domke are excellent. And I just bought a Billingham Packington - great build, but I haven't used it enough yet to foem an opinion. The others are ok. So I'd have to agree - there is no perfect bag. But I keep looking (and chanting).

• 3 months later...
Just a quick note if you need true waterproofness. One backpack to always consider is the waterproof lowepro. I have the first model, came out about 4 years ago, and it is indeed waterproof. You can actually go swimming with it. On other hand the waterproof zipper and shell design make it more cumbersome to open and close, so this recommendation is only for those that really need the waterproofness. I have a small tamrac, don't know which line, and i spilled a drink on it and found the liquid (a shake at that) had immediately found its way inside the bag, zippers closed.