error just doesn't wash.

"A bride-to-be whose fiance died five weeks before their wedding day was told

by a photographic studio: "We'll keep your deposit for next time."

Rachael Gate was still grieving over Jon Baglee when she asked for the return

of her ᆪ150 down-payment.

But instead of handing over her money, Risbeys Photography in Darlington told

her she could put the money towards her next wedding album"

The full story is here-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?

in_article_id=393925&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=

If you lived in that area would you consider using them?

I'd have instantly offered the refund, what do you think?

your link gave me an "article not found".

Doesn't surprise me though...although I agree, it is heartless...but every corporation I have worked for does very similair things to their customers and employees. Even if it is "in the contract" this sort of customer relationship will eventually catch up with them. This would definitely be something that the company should for go the contract rules and show a little customer respect.

Of course, I do reserve final comment on this until I see the article....

I run a full time studio and it's in the wedding contract that retainers are not refundable, however, depending on the circumstances I do return it. I had one wedding where the brides father died 3 days before the wedding and naturally I returned it. Also if the groom is in the service and he is called to active duty I return it.

Due to the nature of this business most people can see the need for not returning the retainer under normal cancellations but you also have to be compassionate.

Jim Marby

pictureperfectstudio.biz

I would think that had they offered it right when she called, they may have seemed like push-overs, but at the same time, they would have saved themselves that bit of publicity. I would think that such an article, depending on how widely read will be quite the black mark against them in the public eye. I don't know the comparative value of ᆪ150 to $150 dollars, but... if it's anything similar, at least to me, returning $150 instead of running the risk of bad press wouls seem worth it.

"How much would it had been worth if they had instantly refunded when told and offered their condolences?"

They would have gained a grateful customer who might have come back if she ever decided to get married... But instead they got bad press that will cause them to lose customers depending on how many read the article, and how many the bride had told... They were absolutely heartless and ... what goes around comes around.

I'm pretty firm on the Retainer ... in the case above I'd have returned it instantly and asked if I could create a collage or a group of photos to be used at the funeral?

To do otherwise is just foolish in a humanitarian sense as well as a business sense.

of course, some people would suggest that any publicity is good publicity - "as long as they spell your name right!".

on the other hand, that's a touch too machiavellian for my taste. death of bride or groom would be an retainer refund in my books - no future credit!