What? Kodak discontinues 14n SLR/n and SLR/c

Giampiero,

My apologies, I didn't read your point properly. The DCS14N also has the option of using low ISO settings (down to 6) but this is for long exposures only and apparently is to reduce image noise. The lowest ISO for all 'normal' shutter speeds is 80.

The ability to reduce ISO settings would be very helpful for all cameras used in a studio setting, simply because it would be better and easier than having to use ND filters/gels when wide apertures are needed. IMO this is the biggest problem with the Nikon range. Some MF backs (including mine) also dial right down, I just feel it's a pity that DSLR cameras don't.

Let's face it, Kodak do make a pretty good DSLR, but pretty good is just not good enough in the market place and especially at today's market place and simply put Kodak just priced it wrong. Even way before the 14n come on, the Nikon D1 and the EOS D30 already hint to the world what was coming. Kodak just turn a blind eye to the market and develop the body to their own anticipation of how the market will be. And not to mention the introduction itself is a disaster.

In fact I've done a couple of Wedding using the SLR/C and found it quite capable of delivering. Was even considering buyiing into it, but this news certainly kill all plan to go. The plain reality is Kodak failed to edge enough of market share. Plain and simple, and they have themselves to blame for that ....

>>And someone is willing to pay $3,000 per unit for this product and base an ongoing business on using this camera? <<

Oh, yea, there were over 15,000 14N cameras sold, based on serial number--even more SLRn/c cameras the following year. Kodak will easily repair (in less than a week in most cases) any SLRn/c camera through 2008, at which time most of the SLR users will want new cameras anyway. All this means is that current owners won't be able to buy a new Kodak camera in a few years. It doesn't mean you won't be able to buy whatever new Nikon or Canon camera comes out. If the camera makes money for you now, the fact that it is discontinued means little. The only time things will get dicey is after 2008, when support will end. But by that time digital will be much more mature and worked out, and most people (including myself) will no longer want to use the camera.

I'll bet you'll be able to get the slr/c-n's repaired after 2008. It probably won't be by kodak though. I had my oly om's (how did we survive?) fixed long after they were discontinued. Even the electronics on one. I can probably get the shutter fixed on my 2n.

I've been playing with an slr/c. No problems with landscapes or studio. As smooth, or smoother, of SW skies as my canons. Converseley, I'm not correcting for magenta cast with the kodak. I've seen a little moire when I look at 100%. But I've read that the 1dsII and most MF backs have the same problem. It's clunky, but I use a tripod and have a 1d for sports/action. I aslo really like kodak's work flow.

All and all, I think a used one is a steal right now. All my lenses and flash work on it. And unless Canon does something drastic they'll work on a future canon. I don't buy into this reselling notion. A used 1ds is worth a hair greater than 50% of what it was new...

Then again, I'm not one of those who keeps chasing technology. I don't feel caught out because canon introduced new dslr's with new and improved features to the point I need to upgrade. They'll outdate these in about 18mo.

I had not heard that the DCS Pro SLR/c was to be discontinued until I read it here. I assume

that the info is correct, although on the Kodak web site the 14n is listed as dicontinued,

but no mention of the DCS Pro SLR/c. Eather way, I use o DCS Pro SLR/c in studio and on

some locations and love it. My buisness plan has me buying a new digital camera by 2008

so I do not worry about if it will be supported past then. If needed I will most likely be able

to get it fixed past then, just not by Kodak. My Canon lenses will work with a new Canon

unless they change the lenses. If they do that, then I would be out the lenses any way if I

had gone with them now.

Bottom line, I am happy with my Kodak and it fills the needs that it was purchesed for. It

makes me money. What more do I need?

Hi Everyone,

I own a Kodak SLR/C that I use for 90% of my work.

Sure the camera has a few quirks but for architectural photography it is perfect. I needed full frame and at the time I had a choice of ?5000 (sterling) for an EOS1Ds or ?2900 (sterling) for the Kodak.

The ISO 6 setting along with the higher resolution really sold it to me, along with the fact that the camera is much lighter (not a massive issue but I do carry my kit around every day and my shoulder gets very tired).

The camera is hard to use to begin with but I have produced images with the Kodak that my clients are delighted with - thats all that matters to me. Now Kodak have pulled the camera from production I feel a bit sad because I believe this camera offers so much to those prepared to work at their photography. If you are willing to only ever shoot in RAW format (which I do with my 10D also) and to learn how to shoot and process the images to get the best results then you would be delighted with the images produced.

When I need a fast camera for event photography etc (which I must admit I don't do very often) I use my 10D - everything else I shoot with the Kodak - architectural, interiors, portraits and studio products.

If the guys that review cameras for magazines actually bothered to learn how to use them first - instead of shooting boring bland Jpeg images of rubbish subjects - this camrera may well have survived.

Best regards

Dave Thrower

Please note that Kodak sells a STAGGERINGLY HUGE number of digital cameras in the US every year. While they're not all top end, they DO work very well for their intended clientele. I still have my old DC215 and it has some software that my new Olympus 8080 and My Nikon Coolpix NEVER had, nameley that the camera can be operated from a PC....

• 6 months later...

Isn't the N on the 14n represent Nikon? I'm really pissed off because I purchased a DCS 14n in December 2003 and have had nothing but trouble with it. When I complained recently to Kodak, they just blew me off!

I think the real reason Kodak is backing out of the DSLR market is because they can't compete with Canon and Nikon. I also think that Kodak had to have invested a lot of time and money in producing the DCS 14n. Why else would they stop making the DCS 14n after just two years on the market? Could it be that they had a bad product?

Do you remember when Fuji film came into town?...That really sent Kodak on a rampage. They began to compete with Fuji on the "vivid" color that attracted most landscape and food photographers. Kodak began to change all of it's transparency films weekly and changing the names of the film so much that photographers were getting confused with the different name changes.

Kodak has always been with the mass consumer market and the "Kodak name" is so well know around the world that it makes perfectly good sense to stay with what they do best which is to continue to market to the mass consumer market.

As for me, I'm taking legal actions against the "Big Yellow Box"! What do I have to lose? I have already spent over 5 grand in repairs!