Lenses for wedding combo

ike k

Hi all,

I need some suggestion on lenses combo that I will be using on my Nikon F5. Do you guys prefer a

zoom combo which has 17-35 + 35-70 + 70-200 ? or prime combo that has 35/2 + 50/1.4 + 85/1.4?

thanks for info!.

I'm of two minds on this one. On the one hand, you can probably shoot virtually a whole wedding (on film) with the 35-30/2.8. It's a cracking good lens, and it covers the gamut of the 'traditional' wedding shooter.

For myself (in 'Uncle Bob' mode, nobody pays me), I tend to shoot the 24/2.0 - 85/1.4 pair, or sometimes the 35/1.4 - 105/1.8 pair in available light.

If I were 'painted into the pro wedding shooter corner' for film, I'd probabably lean towards a pair of F5's w/ two 35-70/2.8's (one lens strictly for backup), a 24/2.0 and 105/1.8 AIS. And of course a couple SB-28's (or maybe even the SB-800 with it's nice little omni-bounce thingy).

For Nikon film cameras, the 28-70mm f/2.8 AFS lens is THE event shooters lens. At least for me, it covered 95% of what I'd shoot at a wedding.

The 70-200mm f/2.8 VR would be a swell lens for available light stuff during a ceremony. Though, its a lens I'd leave in the car at a reception.

If you shoot really wide stuff at a wedding, the 17-35mm f/2.8 lens is beautiful. Though if you wouldn't be shooting that much with it, you might consider a 20mm f/2.8 AFD lens instead to save on weight and $$$.

I use the following lens combination which is suitable for film or digital;20mm F2.8, 24-85 F2.8-F4 zoom, 105mm F2.8 Micro and 180mm F2.8.

When things get dark at the reception I use; 20mm F2.8,35mm F2, and 50mm F1.4. Two of these lenses are in separate Tamrac lens pouches on my waist so that I am mobile.

I like the 24-85 zoom. The reach is much better for me than the 28-70mm.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...