28mm f/2.8 AIs or 28mm f/2.8AI ???

arthur_nyc

Hello,

Thinking of getting this lens but am not sure which is the better of the 2.

Any suggestions would be of great help to this beginner. Choosing a lens is

becoming more difficult. I am always flip flopping. I would like the lens for

outdoor city scenes. Lots of people, buildings etc. Would this lens be good for

that or should i go with the 35mm lens which i hear so much about. Please help.

Thanks

Arthur

Hi, Arthur. I am a Nikon FM2n owner, also. It's ininfluent the use of the AI or AIS version whit FM2n camera (also for FM, FM2, FE2, FM3A). The AIS version was made for perfect coupling with automatic shutter and/or automatic programmed mode of the Nikon FG20, FA, F301. I think that AI and AIS 28 mm f/ 2,8 model employing the CRC system.

Ciao

Vincenzo Maielli Italy

The 28/2.8 AI doesn't have CRC. The AIS was the first (and thus far only) version of the 28/2.8 to have CRC. (The 28/2 is the only 28mm featuring CRC in all versions from non-AI through AIS).

The AI version of the 28/2.8 is still a very good lens. It's just that the AIS version is better still, particularly at close distances, so it's the one to get.

Although the aperture ring minimum f/stop number colors are the easiest (and usually accurate) way to determine AI vs. AIS, the surest way is by serial number. If the serial number is above 635000, then it's AIS. See - http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#28 (with thanks to Roland Vink).

The even better way to know if it is AIS is by the small groove or slot notched into the back of the lens on the mount right beside the other doohicky. If you go to eBay and look at a good picture of the rear of an AIS lens you can't miss it. The MIR site probably has a good explanation with photos as well as some others. Just google Nikon lenses and I am sure you will find it. When I was learning about this a year ago I quickly noticed that you can't go by colours of the aperture numbers.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/28mmnikkor/

28mmf28.htm

it seems there is a second version of the Ai version, which started using CRC and push the

min focusing distance to 0.2m.

but i am on the lookout for a 28/2 pre AI version with multi coating. It will be interesting

to see a shootout between all the 28s.

nikon has stopped the production of 28/2 this year, production of 28/2.8 is not affected,

but obviously nikon has cut down the production drastically.

maybe we will see what zeiss/cosina has to announce this photokina, their distagon 21

and 28 will be nice.