WNW: Blue

vivek iyer

Lee, Thanks for your offer but no it is not necessary. I tried emailing you and it bounced back. Interesting that others can link their pics from elsewhere but only the p.net subcribers can't.

Akira, Enjoy 511 pics. This is the best chat forum there is.

Nice capture of the Oenothera!

Vivek,

Thanks for your warm comment!

Peter,

I like you first picture (dark blue). The crossing light lines give nice accent to the night scape!

I suppose you mean the UV rice. The lens I used was Olympus Zuiko MC Macro 38mm/f3.5 (RMS mount). I used it with two stacked PN-11s (they are mounted on Wimberley P-30 lens plate), M42-to-Nikon-F mount adaptor, BORG's short helicoid and C-to-M42 mount adaptor, and Edmund Optics' RMS-to-C mount adaptor. Phew!

Peter,

Thnak you for your kind compliment!

However, I should make it clear that the "UV rice" is actually fluorescing in blue by it self "stimulated by UV light". So, the picture itself is just a normal shot in visible light using a dedicated macro lens. It is not a UV shot and thus doesn't require any UV capable lenses like what Vivek mentioned in the thread to which you linked.

FWIW, the "Oenothera" above IS an UV shot and the lens used was an ols EL-Nikkor 63mm/f3.5 which Vivek mentioned in that thread.

Peter,

I suppose you already know this, so my additional comment below may be redundant:

The enlarger lenses are generally optimized for 10x, 8x, 5x or 4x, etc magnification when used as enlarger lenses, which means that they can be used as classically designed macro lenses without floating elements or master-lens-and-teleconverter method or IF construction, like the old micro-Nikkor 55mm/f3.5, because, as a matter of practice, they are optimized for 1/10, 1/8, 1/5 or 1/4 etc. magnification factor.

So, the EL-Nikkor 63mm/f3.5, for example, is virtually, or actually, an UV-capable "macro" lens.

I also use LPL 75mm/f4.5 enlarger lens as very affordable and easy-to-find alternative UV (macro) lens. It is still in production and costs about $80 new. Unlike the EL-Nikkor 63/3.5, you have to compensate for the focus shift when you use LPL 75/4.5, though.

Oops,

I should have said that EL-Nikkor 63/3.5 is "micro" lens to follow the line of Nikon's terminology. When you mount it in reverse, you can use it as "macro" lens, of course:-)

The LPL 75/4.5 has the 40.5mm filter thread, so it can be used with the same assorted attachment parts collected for the EL-Nikkor 63/3.5.