Adirondacks

mike mccarthy

Mike -

Where in the Adirondacks do you anticipate being?

Also, what kind of nature photography are you interested in? There are oppotunities for "nature shots" just about everywhere in the Adirondacks. Whether you are inspired by those opportunities depends on what you are actually interested in. Closeup/marco/wildflowers and mushrooms versus wildlife, versus streams and lakes and sunsets versus mountainscapes, etc.

You might look at books by guys like Carl Heileman, Nathan Farb and Bill Healy for examples of what others have done in the Adirondacks.

"Saranac Lake"

There are lots for sale at a particular location. There is a road marked as private but there is a tiny mini memorial park up the road and empty lots with spectacular views. The hotel clerk claimed the owners "want you to go there" to look at the lots for potential purchase. I don't know about that but there are signs at the lots with prices on them. If you go for sunrise there are spectacular misty morning views of the mountains. For sunset, if you walk past the mini park up the hill you will find there is an awesome lake view. The location will not last undeveloped much longer. Shoot it while you can. I will e-mail the location to you. The road to the Adirondak Loj (use google to locate) has several spots for sunrise shooting.

Old Forge is a touristy outpost and has unremarkable features.

Although it's not specifically in the area you are staying, from the Adirondack Loj road I would strongly recommend that you continue heading east on Rte. 73 for Keene Valley and go as far as the Rte. 9 turn off to Elizabethtown. This stretch of road is one of the most dramatic in all of NY State and includes many trailheads. Some worthwhile stops along here are the Cascade Lakes, Roaring Brook Falls,Chapel Pond (right along the road and best in morning if the sun is out),Round Pond & numerous views of the Ausable River. All of these are either along the road or at most a 1/2 mile hike in. You could then double back and at Keene head north on 9N to Upper Jay and then west at Wilmington to take Rte. 86 back towards Lake Placid through the spectacular Wilmington Notch. Roadside views of the Ausable River West Branch (especially at Monument Falls) offer many opportunities as well as the classic view of Whiteface framed at Little Cherrypatch pond. The Adirondack Mountain Club map of the High Peaks Region would be invaluable for being able to locate these sites. Make sure Rte. 86 is open as I understand they have been widening this road and am not sure if the work is still ongoing.