50th wedding anniversary

lynn_johnston

I have a general question about the options to reproduce black and white

photographs of my parents' wedding , it is their golden anniversary this year

and I want to know, irrespective of copyright issues, as I cannot trace the

original photographer, what my options are to have copies made in different

mediums ie on dvd, etc, and how good the quality will be considering I have

only the original black and white 6.5"x 4" to work from.

It's a combination of a copying job and - usually - restoration. Simply photograph each image as usual then you can remove the ravages of the years - the dirt and rips, not the wrinkles - in PS, Gimp or whatever your chosen program is. If you haven't done much copying, the keys are even lighting and keeping the camera back parallel to the subject plane.

If you create good-sized files you'll be surprised just how big you can blow them up and get a presentable result. Once they're digital, of course, you can save them however you like and you can vary the colour of your final prints to match the originals.

Don't underestimate how long the restoration can take. I've just scanned and cleaned up my railway locomotive photographs from the 1960s. Making them presentable took up to three hours each!

I would suggest that you look for a good, full service, professional lab in your area. Take the prints to them and ask their advice. Do not take them to the local Walmart or Walgreens 1 Hour photo place...find a pro-lab. You might want to call a couple of local photographers in your area and ask them to refer you to the local pro-quality labs.

Don't waste your time re-photographing the images, just flat bed scan the originals or

have it done ... the copy light is perfectly even and there are some software solutions that

come with most flatbeds that will 1) remove surface scratches and dust, 2) actually

restore faded areas ...

For more serious damage like rips and tears seek out a photoshop expert if you aren't

proficient at it yourself.

I've made beautiful 5X7s from damaged 70 year old 3X4 prints and recently restored an

entire wedding's worth of color and B&W images from 1964. Old prints tend to be better

resolution than you'd expect and, depending on the paper, can be enlarged 2X or more.

Here's an example I'm currently working on now for my sister ... her and my mother taken 48

years ago with a Brownie ... print probably never given much of a fixer bath.

Top: the original straight scanned on a flat bed. Middle: a straight B&W conversion of that

scan and enhanced in PS to show the damage. Bottom: scanned using restoration software

and Digital Ice. I'm now finishing it in PhotoShop.<div>00HGLZ-31126784.thumb.jpg.381e8d4c394d12f398dbb529071a8806.jpg</div>

Lynn, since you mention a dvd, I am wondering what your goal is for the images? Most here have mentioned restoration, but maybe your images don't need restoration?

Are you in possession of the pics? Are you wanting to reproduce them to give to others? to make an album? to show a slide show at the party?

I have worked a lot with my own family's photos and have ideas if you could tell me more of what you want to do with them.

Feel free to answer here or email me.

When it's finished, I'll probably print it on the Epson 2400 using "Warm Tone" in the

advanced B&W options Lauren. The "restoration" software comes with many of the

scanners, and are actually better suited for faded color prints.

Photo Flatbeds are relatively inexpensive compared to film scanners, and IMO are essential

equipment. I've found that good 5X5 proofs from a MF negs, can be scanned on a flatbed

and easily enlarged to 8X8 with no apparent loss of quality ... or with adept use of the

software they often can actually be improved.

Lynn, it's true, we jumped to the conclusion that the photos you were referencing would

be in need of restoration. Telling us more about your needs would lead to more specific

answers. I recently did such a job for a 50th wedding anniversary where many of the

photos were still okay, and just needed to be enlarged for display on a table at the party.

Thanks Marc. I have a scanner and if I ever get the time to get back to working on my family photo project (maybe winter), I may post somewhere here for help.

Also, Lynn, if you are using any photos simply for display in a small size, I'm a fan of a simple color photo copy