battery for 5D?

sf_photo1

>>Capacity ratings of 3rd party replacement batteries are unreliable.<<

Do you have a test or review source with evidence htat the capacity ratings of all 3rd party replacement batteries are unreliable?

How about the OEM that makes the Canon-branded batteries (because Canon doesn't make batteries).

I have no realiable data that proves the rating of OEM vs. third party batteries. However I will say with certainly that the 3rd party batteries do last at least 25% longer. However I have found that over the the years the 3rd party batteries will get to the point faster of no longer taking a charge. Just my singular experience, your's may vary.

>> However I have found that over the the years the 3rd party batteries will get to the point faster of no longer taking a charge.<<

That's possible, but when there is a difference of over 100 percent in price, it doesn't necessarily make the Canon-branded battery more cost effective.

For a prolific shooter who needs multiple batteries in a single outing, it may well be more effective to have four 3rd party batteries on hand simultaneously, even if they each last only 18 months, than one Canon-branded battery that would last three years.

"However I have found that over the the years the 3rd party batteries will get to the point

faster of no longer taking a charge."

The two Canon 511 that came with my 10D didn't even make a year, so the SterlingTreks

have proved to be much better in that regard. By th end of the year I was seeing only 20-30

shots off each battery. However those are the only 2 battery makes I've tried extensively.

Canons sure were amazingly crap...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Can I use one Canon OEM BP511A battery simultaneously with a 3rd party battery when both are isntalled in the battery power grip? Will the difference in mHA affect the batteries or the camera?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't use a grip with my 5D but used whatever batteries I picked out of my bag in the grip for the D30/60/10D and 20D. I have several Canon batteries--and buy the Sterlingtec 3rd party batteries as additional ones. Work fine.

Diane

I have two Canon BP-511A batteries. They are 1350 mAh and cost $50 each.

I have four SterlingTek replacement batteries. They are 1800 mAh (not 1600 as you said above) and cost $12 each.

So for less than 1/4 of the price you can get batteries that have a more than 30% higher capacity.

The SterlingTek batteries work well, never had any problems with them.

>>A different but related questions. Can I use one Canon OEM BP511A battery simultaneously with a 3rd party battery when both are isntalled in the battery power grip? Will the difference in mHA affect the batteries or the camera?<<

Not in my experience. I mix 3rd party and Canon batteries all the time without regard to the mAh (and remember that Canon also has varying versions of BH-511). Remember that the difference is one of capacity, not voltage. Having two batteries of different mAh ratings is the same as having one battery slightly more fully charged than the other--which is what happens naturally in the grip.

The battery grip intelligently operates sequentially from the two batteries as they lose power, apparently in a stair-step fashion so that they both become discharged at approximately the same time.

>>Batteries with a higher mha may be capable of less charge/recharge cycles than lower rated ones. <<

I've never heard any manufacturer state that their new high mAh batteries have a shorter lifespan than their old, low mAh batteries.

What definitely will shorten the life span is high-speed (heat producing) charging, however most lithium-ion chargers are smart enough to avoid dangerously fast charging.

BTW, a lithium-ion battery will usually only last 24-36 months even with the best of care.