17-55 IS on 30D vs. 24-70 on 5D

lucas_jarvis

Does anyone know if these two have been officially tested against one another?

Please send in links if you have them.

The two would have to be compared at the equivalent focal lenths to one

another, and then the 30D would have to be upsized to the same pixel count as

the 5D. This way the 100% crops will look the same in size for direct

comparison.

A similar test was done a while back with the 10-22 on the 20D and the 17-40

on the 5D.

www.prime-

junta.net/pont/Reviews/090_5D_vs_20D_Wide_Angle/a_5D_vs_20D_Wide_Angle_Shootout

.html

(For some reason, photo.net won't allow the link to display properly. Take the

space out after the dash, and also after 'shootout')

The edge went to the 5D and the 17-40

This is the kind of question that really makes people hate pixel peepers.

<p>

If you already have a camera, it doesn't matter which is better. You choose whichever has the right focal range. If you don't have a camera, the 5D will any decent lens will come out on top. In a contest of pure resolution for this range, the 5D wins, end of story.

<p>

But it wouldn't do to choose based on that alone. There are arguments in favor of a camera system built around either.

<p>

For the 24-70/2.8:

<p>

- 24mm wide end<br>

- build quality<br>

- less DOF at f/2.8<br>

<p>

For the 17-55/2.8:

<p>

- 90mm long end<br>

- IS

<p>

For sheer versatility, the IS lens takes the cake. But if you want gloriously shallow DOF, there's no question f/2.8 on the 5D will outclass any zoom on a crop body.

<p>

DI

This was a great question, cause I was thinking about the same thing. I currently have a 20d and the 24-70L lens which is mainly the only lens on the camera. I never use a tripod and can't say that I have too many blurry or out of focus pictures due to camera shake. I've taken this lens on vacations, shoot weddings with it and other things and I love the results. The only drawbacks for me is how heavy it is, and I wish it was wider! I have the 10-22mm, but I don't like to switch lenses too much and I like having the constant 2.8. That is why I was thinking of getting the 17-55mm and perhaps also upgrading to 30d... Or should I just upgrade to 5d and keep the 24-70? If the image quality is not the same on 17-55 as it is with 24-70 I guess it's not worth switching right? But if I get a 5d, it this combo going to get any heavier?

Lana, you're in the same boat I'm in, and it's exactly why I'm looking for a comparison. I own the 20D and the 24-70 and the 24-105. I'm not sure if I should buy the 5D, or sell one of my lenses for the 17-55. Why someone would think that this is a silly question I'm not sure. I need to compare two different setups that cost a whole lot different, but first I need the facts on how much difference there really is. Am I wrong to do a little research before I buy?

Light Fall-off?

Wow, first time I've heard that. I can certainly say that I have not seen that on mine. I guess I could compare my 17-55 to my 17-40; but that's not the question here.

I'll just say that my 17-55 f2.8 was the best $1200 I ever spent on my photography.

For me, $1100+ for an EF-S lens is a non-starter.

From the PhotoDo tests. . .performance of the 17-55 is not "L" quality. -> what you are paying (dearly) for is the image stabilization. Note that the 24-70/2.8L is an older lens and does not carry the huge "new and shiney" price premium of the 17-55/2.8-EF-S

If you buy the 5D, when take the 24-70l, this is very very precision lens. But if you remaing in the 1.6X range, well, you take the 17-55 IS, If you used the tripod, ( for me, the IS on the medium tele is useless, cause only ulterior distortion of the image) then you take the 17-40L, this is the almost perfect lens, ( because the perfect not esist), better also of the 16-35L 2.8.