salesman, he said that the problem wasn't with so many people buying

the cameras as with them being able to get any from Nikon. It makes

me wonder if Nikon is putting all of it's efforts in keeping up with

the D200 demand (with a much bigger profit margin) at the expense of

their lesser cameras that us average people can afford. It's just a

little frustrating but I can blame myself too for waiting until the

last minute. Now not only are they not available but I guess I'll

be paying more when they do come in.

"but found all the major reliable, reasonably priced places (B&H, Adorama, Buydig) sold out..."

you'll find this with the on-line shops but walking into your local store is often a different story. Everytime i hear of people bitching about not getting lcd covers or batteries or which ever dslr, I ask my local "do you have D200 batteries in stock?" and their answer is always opposite to the complaints here in regards to "Best Buy doesn't have them so Nikon sux..." theme.

If Nikon supplied the mass online wholesalers to their satisfaction then the retailers, the local established camera stores, would suffer. I don't think Nikon would allow that.

The recent price drops on both bodies have spurred a short buying spree. Nikon can't compensate for short sales spikes like that due to the length of time it takes to get a camera here from where it's made (2-3 weeks on a freighter).

So a local butcher shop is advertising NY Strip Steaks for $3 a pound. A lady goes in to buy some, and they are out of stock. So she goes into another local butcher to get some, and is told that they are $6 a pound. She complains that the other butcher is only charging $3 a pound. And the butcher who's store she is in now tells her that she should buy them from his competitor. She tells him that she would, but they are out of them. He replies: "Lady if I was out of NY Strip Steak, I could charge $3 a pound for it too."

The point is, this is a very old story, and it's surprising that people atill think that it's noteworthy.

Well, I can't find any extra batteries for my D200 and there are no generic ones just yet, so I had to drop some money and get the MD-200 so I can use AA batteries if my only battery runs out. I went to Best Buy, my Local Camera stores and untold number of online stores and nuttin! I chat with my favorite local camera store friend and he tells me they are having hell getting anything from Nikon. I'm just curious what the heck is going on. If it is just a spike, then why can't my local retailer get a lens that has been in production for several years now?